What's new

DHCP to ORBI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

Hi

Why is the AC86U assigning static IP to Devices? I am having some troubles with Orbi mesh satellites disconnecting, and they recommend to set devices in DHCP but the network page says static even I didnt setup static IP

dhcp.png

Hi

Why is the AC86U assigning static IP to Devices? I am having some troubles with Orbi mesh satellites disconnecting, and they recommend to set devices in DHCP but the network page says static even I didnt setup static IP

View attachment 27287

It's not... it can't... that list is often not accurate. A static IP is assigned on the client by you.

OE

It's not... it can't... that list is often not accurate. A static IP is assigned on the client by you.

OE

strange I do not have assigned static IP in the DHPC AC86U settings and Orbi router is set to DHPC by default, you can't set static

My list has a few 'static' that are by DHCP. It's just not accurate unless static means something else on the router.

OE

The router will assume any clients it discovers (via ARP, etc.) that were not assigned by it since it was rebooted are static. This is not a problem if the clients are directly connected to the router (wired or WiFi) because rebooting the router forces them to reconnect.

The problem comes when clients are not directly connected to the router, e.g. they are connected to a switch. In this case when the router is rebooted the client maintains its current network connection. So when the router comes back up it doesn't know how the client got its address so assumes it's static.

EDIT: As RMerlin points out below, if you wait long enough for a client to renew its lease its status should change from Static to DHCP.

Last edited:
So maybe the AiMesh 2.0 system reboot (all nodes) might be good for cleaning up the client list.

OE

No need to reboot. If you just wait for leases to get renewed by clients once they are half-way to expiring, it should update their status on the client list as the router will now have track of the new lease.

No need to reboot. If you just wait for leases to get renewed by clients once they are half-way to expiring, it should update their status on the client list as the router will now have track of the new lease.

Ye they have changed to DHCP as you said so that's not my problem.........

I Think I found out what the issue is. Netgear support said the the issue on their end is the asus router not responding to DNS queries from Orbi router in AP mode. WHen issue happens I can still access orbi router.

Just now the issue happened again. The device page shows orbi router with ip 192.168.1.180. The DHPC lease log shows IP of 192.168.1.181. The only fix is to reboot asus. Once I rebooted the asus router the DHCP lease page shows 192.168.1.180 like the device list page. SO problem seems to be that asus thinks IP has changed but is not.

In the past noticed that the orbi router IP always changes between .180 and .181. The IP of the orbi satelites is always the same. .43 and .82

Any ideas?

Attachments

• post_reboot.png
    post_reboot.png
    428.5 KB · Views: 127
  • asus_ip.png
    asus_ip.png
    456.1 KB · Views: 112
  • asus1.png
    asus1.png
    515 KB · Views: 122

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!