What's new

Did firmware upgrade, a few questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RBJ32

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AC68P did the firmware update to Version 3.0.0.4.384.45713 (from original purchase ver 3.0.0.4.376.2104)

I had previously downloaded the firmware zip file and planned to do a manual update without the website involvement. But I blew it being an Asus newbee and inadvertently clicked the CHECK button not knowing it was going to take over. It downloaded the file and did the update all in one go. The update was successful, took about 3 mins and then I rebooted the router and my laptop afterwards.

However now when I login to my router address the Asus website login takes over. They want my router pswd to get into their account on every login. I'd rather have it back the way it was before without having to login to the website. I've looked in the setup but cannot find how I might do this? Would it work if I restored the factory settings and upload my saved settings?

Appreciate any help.

ASUS RT-AC68P did the firmware update to Version 3.0.0.4.384.45713 (from original purchase ver 3.0.0.4.376.2104)

I had previously downloaded the firmware zip file and planned to do a manual update without the website involvement. But I blew it being an Asus newbee and inadvertently clicked the CHECK button not knowing it was going to take over. It downloaded the file and did the update all in one go. The update was successful, took about 3 mins and then I rebooted the router and my laptop afterwards.

However now when I login to my router address the Asus website login takes over. They want my router pswd to get into their account on every login. I'd rather have it back the way it was before without having to login to the website. I've looked in the setup but cannot find how I might do this? Would it work if I restored the factory settings and upload my saved settings?

Appreciate any help.

I can't follow exactly what you are referring to when you say 'ASUS website login takes over', but never mind that.

Since you updated the firmware, I would reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch to have a clean slate. Browse to router.asus.com (or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) and login to the router webUI (admin, admin) whenever required.

OE

Never restore settings from a significantly older firmware version, especially when there is a major change like going from 376 to 384.

Can you post a screenshot of what this login looks like? If it's for http://router.asus.com that's just an alias to your router IP, and the GUI is just redirecting you from http://192.168.1.1 to http://router.asus.com, but you'll need to confirm what you're seeing.

Yes that's exactly what it's doing. When I type in my browser 192.168.1.1 it redirects me to an asus.com link -> http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp (see image) That page has a login asking for my user name and pswd. It did not redirect me before the firmware update.

Edit add, well the image insert is asking for a URL it doesn't have browse to direct it to the snip (?) not sure how to do this.

I can't follow exactly what you are referring to when you say 'ASUS website login takes over', but never mind that.

Since you updated the firmware, I would reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch to have a clean slate. Browse to router.asus.com (or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) and login to the router webUI (admin, admin) whenever required. OE

Ok so this is not a webpage and this is my new firmware router web GUI (?)
Why is the URL saying asus.com and not my router address like it used to?

Never restore settings from a significantly older firmware version, especially when there is a major change like going from 376 to 384.

Thanks as I did not know that.

Yes that's exactly what it's doing. When I type in my browser 192.168.1.1 it redirects me to an asus.com link -> http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp (see image) That page has a login asking for my user name and pswd. It did not redirect me before the firmware update.

Thanks as I did not know that.
If you ping router.asus.com from your PC, you will see it resolves to 192.168.1.1, or whatever your router IP is.

Browsing to router.asus.com (or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) will take you to your router's webUI.

Do not be surprised when the firmware/router administration behaves differently from previous firmware/router administration. Upgraded firmware is often new and different and behaves differently from before, so expect this and roll with it.

OE

If you ping router.asus.com from your PC, you will see it resolves to 192.168.1.1, or whatever your router IP is.
Browsing to router.asus.com (or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) will take you to your router's webUI.

Do not be surprised when the firmware/router administration behaves differently from previous firmware/router administration. Upgraded firmware is often new and different and behaves differently from before, so expect this and roll with it. OE

Well knock this old man off his dumb stool, had 4 different routers in my days and never seen anything like this in the address bar. Admittedly my routers were old and it's been awhile since I bought a new one. Live and learn even at my age.

c:\ping router.asus.com (to router)
Pinging router.asus.com [192.168.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
--
c:\ping asus.com (website)
Pinging asus.com [103.10.4.216] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 103.10.4.216: bytes=32 time=243ms TTL=230
Ping statistics for 103.10.4.216:
Minimum = 242ms, Maximum = 243ms, Average = 242ms
--
So the router has these .asp files in it's firmware (?) or the firmware is redirecting to asus.com for them. I surmise the latter since in the Privacy statement it has the Remote Connection ASUS Router APP listed with the others.
------------
ALSO, while you guys are here, I read the Privacy tab in Administration. Maybe you can help me find "where" you actually have an option to stop sharing and choose withdraw (?) other than disable the AiProtection.
Paste below.
--
Administration - ASUS NOTICE( for privacy )
Please note that users are required to agree to share information before using DDNS, Remote Connection (ASUS Router APP、Lyra APP、AiCloud、AiDisk), AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS, Game Boost and Web history. At any time, users can search for the contents of the terms at this page or stop sharing the information with other parties by choosing Withdraw.
----------------------------------
I guess it's like Microsoft OS, Google Andriods, etc, etc, it's all about collecting information now days whether one wants it on not. I'm the type that still signs into my Laptop on a local user account. Just me I guess.

Well knock this old man off his dumb stool, had 4 different routers in my days and never seen anything like this in the address bar. Admittedly my routers were old and it's been awhile since I bought a new one. Live and learn even at my age.

c:\ping router.asus.com (to router)
Pinging router.asus.com [192.168.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
--
c:\ping asus.com (website)
Pinging asus.com [103.10.4.216] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 103.10.4.216: bytes=32 time=243ms TTL=230
Ping statistics for 103.10.4.216:
Minimum = 242ms, Maximum = 243ms, Average = 242ms
--
So the router has these .asp files in it's firmware (?) or the firmware is redirecting to asus.com for them. I surmise the latter since in the Privacy statement it has the Remote Connection ASUS Router APP listed with the others.
------------
ALSO, while you guys are here, I read the Privacy tab in Administration. Maybe you can help me find "where" you actually have an option to stop sharing and choose withdraw (?) other than disable the AiProtection.
Paste below.
--
Administration - ASUS NOTICE( for privacy )
Please note that users are required to agree to share information before using DDNS, Remote Connection (ASUS Router APP、Lyra APP、AiCloud、AiDisk), AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS, Game Boost and Web history. At any time, users can search for the contents of the terms at this page or stop sharing the information with other parties by choosing Withdraw.
----------------------------------
I guess it's like Microsoft OS, Google Andriods, etc, etc, it's all about collecting information now days whether one wants it on not. I'm the type that still signs into my Laptop on a local user account. Just me I guess.
It's all contained within the firmware. Traffic never leaves your network, even though it looks like an external website URL.

If you've already opted in for TrendMicro features (Adaptive QOS, AiProtection) you should have a Withdraw button on that Privacy page. I do, but I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin, so I can't be 100% sure what original AsusWRT looks like.

It's all contained within the firmware. Traffic never leaves your network, even though it looks like an external website URL.

If you've already opted in for TrendMicro features (Adaptive QOS, AiProtection) you should have a Withdraw button on that Privacy page. I do, but I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin, so I can't be 100% sure what original AsusWRT looks like.

Thank you sir, I would be kinda lost sometimes without the help I've gotten on this forum.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!