What's new

Different Speeds Depending on Test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallen234

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I have Cox Gigablast and am having very different speed test results depending on what site/app I use. For example, I use Speed Test thru my ISP (Cox) and I get 22.92Up/0.37 Down. However, right after I took this test, I used SpeedofMe, I get 590.4 and 434.20. TestmyNet gives me 229.5 and 144.1. When I use speed.measurementlab.net I get 813.77/485.68. I get that the last four are "close", but for the life of my I don't know why Speed Test (which Cox uses as its SpeedTest will give me such low results. Or, I'm wondering if this is affecting my performance in anyway given that it is the test through my ISP. It doesn't seem that my actual speed is being affected as I am not experiencing any detrimental actual effects in real life usage and everything seems snappy. When I use the SpeedTest app on my iphone when connected to 5G Wireless I get 669/614!. Any Ideas?

Thanks!
(PS - the reason I am doing this is I was experiencing some reliability issues with my old router and I recently switched to a new router (RAX45). I got the same results with the old router.)

results will depend on the server, how busy it is, the # of hops, and other congestion issues. Cable based will also depend on the neighborhood available bandwidth since it is shared.
Are the Cox results reported as MBytes/sec or Mbits/sec ? Factor of 8x - Byte=8 bits.
Other than that call Cox and ask them to explain why they are so different.

Just a follow up on this thread. I've been dealing with Cox and they had someone come over today. Both from the Modem and from the Router, he was getting Gigabit service. He did verify that when running the speed test on Speedtest.net through the cox website, he was getting the lower speed. He also checked the speed on fast.com and it was gigabit speed. He thought it was weird. Other than a shrug, he suggested I call cox again as as for a Tier 2 or 3 support rep.

My only concern, other than it being a weird result, is that my wife has had difficulty on the zoom calls with an unstable internet connection. She does webinars, so this is more than just an inconvenience if this problem persists.

Ok, here is another data point. Someone on another site, suggested I use a USB connection. When I used a USB/Ethernet adapter and plugged it into my Desktop, I get gigabit speeds. HOWEVER, when I take the same adapter and plug it into my laptop, I get the throttled speed. Sometime, when I first plug it into the laptop, I can get gigabit speed for the first test, then it gets throttled. TODAY, I actually got the throttle in midtest - 444.28up/0.37down.

As of today:

Desktop: Use ethernet connection, with Speedtest.net (either thru Cox website or the app), I get 40/0.6ish. With a USB/Ethernet converter to a 3.1 port, I get gigabit speeds. (When I plug in ethernet immediately after a modem refresh, I get gigabit speeds for the first speedtest I take, then it throttles back to the slow results.

Laptop (with only USB ports) - Get the 40/0.6 ish with Speedtest.net. Sometimes, when I first connect the cable, I get fast speeds, but it quickly slows down. Today, I actually got the 444.28up/0.37 down (I took a photo in case I have to show Cox). So, whatever is happening, it seems to be related to time.

Try Iperf3. It's little bit more technical to use (CLI) but might be more precise in measuring true speed of your internet connection - especially when you can find a server close by.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!