What's new

Different ways to reset Router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Palikrovol

New Around Here
Hi,

Reading over the forum, I have discovered different ways to reset to factory defaults, and I was just wondering if there is any difference between them.

I have the RT-AC68U.

• In GUI. Administration -> Reset to Factory default.
  • Reset button in the back of the router for 5 seconds.
  • Switching on the router with the WPS button pressed. Wait until the light is on. Wait 10sec (more or less). Release button.
  • Executing command "mtd-erase2 nvram" through telnet.

BTW, all of this methods clear the nvram?

Thanks in advance
Regards

• In GUI. Administration -> Reset to Factory default.
  • Reset button in the back of the router for 5 seconds.
  • Switching on the router with the WPS button pressed. Wait until the light is on. Wait 10sec (more or less). Release button.
  • Executing command "mtd-erase2 nvram" through telnet.

BTW, all of this methods clear the nvram?
Hi,

Any reason for not using the search function? :eek:
There you could find the answer here by yourself... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Thanks Joe,

My main question is the difference between all this methods.
I have been searching with the search function ;), but have not found anything (the reason I'm posting :)).

Thanks
Regards

I too would like to know the answer to this.

I do know they are not equivalent; on an RT-AC56U for example, I had to not only do a web ui 'reset to defaults', but I also had to clear nvram too to start at a clean slate.

There needs to be a foolproof way to do this, but what I have been using is:

After an upgrade to a new firmware;

Reset to defaults (via web gui).

Clear nvram with "mtd-erase -d nvram".

Pull the power plug (do not reboot).

Enter any required settings manually (do not use a saved file).

Possibly do the above twice.

Manually power cycle the router at least two more times.

Would love to hear the 'right' way to do the above. :)

After firmware upgrade, I "factory default" from the gui > manually reboot the router > enter settings from scratch > manually reboot router again.

I've never encountered any issues doing the above. IMO additional steps seem a bit over-kill.

Poseidon,

your steps are what I try first, of course. The additional steps were necessary for an RT-AC56U that I set up though.

Overkill is only applicable if the additional steps are done for no reason. When they are needed; it is simply the right way to proceed.

My way: reset to factory defaults via web gui - firmware update - again reset to factory defaults via weg gui - finally manual configuration. Always without troubles.

From what i have learned over the years, by pushing any physical button resets nvram.

GUI reset, only resets any settings you have manually configured back to factory default.

Not sure on the telnet command. It possibly does both or only one of the reset functions.

Last edited:
From what i have learned over the years, by pushing any physical button resets nvram.

GUI reset, only resets any settings you have manually configured back to factory default.

Not sure on the telnet command. It possibly does both or only one of the reset functions.

Meanwhile it's a real reset to factory defaults, not only focused to user settings

Will the Web gui method work for a RT-AC68U? I just looked at my logs after having this router for 3 weeks and it's been comprised by malware. (which leads me to believe I can't trust the gui but wasn't sure how the function worked)
I have the log but do not wish to publicly post it for security reasons. It appears to be some modified version of the ac56 firmware that's set up 4 partitions in the on board memory(no storage attached).

I plan on doing some testing later this week but it allowed every device in the network to get fooled into phony authentication sources and zombified. My network was abused like it was in prison :(

"That's it you fight it's better that way. I wish I could tell you Andy fought the good fight and the sisters let him be but the Internet is no fairytail world "

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Will the Web gui method work for a RT-AC68U? I just looked at my logs after having this router for 3 weeks and it's been comprised by malware. (which leads me to believe I can't trust the gui but wasn't sure how the function worked)
I have the log but do not wish to publicly post it for security reasons. It appears to be some modified version of the ac56 firmware that's set up 4 partitions in the on board memory(no storage attached).

I plan on doing some testing later this week but it allowed every device in the network to get fooled into phony authentication sources and zombified. My network was abused like it was in prison :(

"That's it you fight it's better that way. I wish I could tell you Andy fought the good fight and the sisters let him be but the Internet is no fairytail world "

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would love to see some proof of this. Unless you were individually targeted by some 0-day I find stories like this very hard to believe.

Despite all the uninformed talk on these forums about security, a lot of it is a non tech savvy person making assumptions on something that is over their head.

The only known "exploit" for this router was an insecure FTP/SMB setting that has been addressed in current versions of the firmware that allowed people to upload/download files to an attached USB due to outside WAN access. From what I can tell, this did not allow code execution.

Not only this but you claim your infected with a modified firmware which again is very hard to believe that someone would put all this effort to attack. If your that worried your router has been turned into a botnet zombie, clear the nvram and format any USB attached and update to the latest firmware.

If your not going to post proof don't bother posting in the first place as at the moment everything you have said is very unbelievable.