What's new

different wireless mode for main/guest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thobux

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering if I can downgrade a guest network to Legacy while keeping N for main wifi.
Why would I be interested in such a setup: I got LIFX bulbs that need legacy settings to not loose connectivity…
Any ideas … thanks

No. Guests are just virtual interface, they share the same radio, therefore the same transport settings.

No. Guests are just virtual interface, they share the same radio, therefore the same transport settings.

Not in my expierence.

I had my 2.4g network set to N only for the longest time ( I have no old devices).

I then later dug out an old laptop since I needed an SD card reader. I got confused since I couldn’t connect that laptop the main WiFi as I wanted transfer the data onto to my NAS but that laptop could connect the the guest network without issue.

Long story short, the laptop has no wireless n functionality.

Main network was 2.4n only
Guest network did not take settings from the main network and was 2.4legacy.

Laptop could still connect to guest.

Has me wondering if the legacy switch only does not allow wireless b/g to connect to the network the software side but still broadcast the signal.

Not in my expierence.

I had my 2.4g network set to N only for the longest time ( I have no old devices).

I then later dug out an old laptop since I needed an SD card reader. I got confused since I couldn’t connect that laptop the main WiFi as I wanted transfer the data onto to my NAS but that laptop could connect the the guest network without issue.

Has me wondering if the legacy switch only does not allow wireless b/g to connect to the network the software side but still broadcast the signal.
Hmm, interesting. I'll give it a try at some point.

Not in my expierence.

So I did some tests here. My situation is with LIFX bulbs/beams. It seems your approach works for the beam (no legacy for 2.4 but connected via guest) but not for the bulb. Hmm, undecided.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!