What's new

DIR-655 is flaky...looking for recommendations for reliable replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxxjr

Occasional Visitor
I have had the D-link DIR-655 for about a year now. Most of the time, there is no issue, but I have have run into reliability issues. I don't trust the thing any more, and I now have a poor opinion of D-link.

From a reliability standpoint, what are my best non-D-link options? I have had excellent experience with a couple of Linksys WRT54G's, but would like to get something newer tech. Reliability is the first criteria, followed by 802.11n support, and then 1Gbps LAN ports.

Specific issues with the D-link router is that it does NOT gracefully recover after a power outage (have had a couple of extended outages where the UPS eventually ran out). I have given it up for dead twice only to have it magically recover from whatever state it had gotten into where it confused LAN and WAN side configurations, and did not respond to a factory reset. There have been a couple of occasions where general network "flakiness" was resolved by power cycling the router. At the moment, I am remote and the family is complaining about no internet connection. I have no problem pinging the cable modem with good response times, but the router is no longer responding.

Sorry...a bit frustrated with it at the moment.

Thanks for any recommendation!

Do you use the WiFi router's capability to save configuration settings to a file on your PC? Then if you think they've been corrupted, restore from PC file? A router should NOT lose it settings due to a power failure if YOU indeed do a save to router's non-volatile memory (save all settings).

lots of other threads here and on DSLreports forum on WiFi.
My suggestions:
Avoid D-LInk and Netgear. D-Link esp. has a poor and long history of buggy firmware.
Most Buffalo, Linksys (not all), Belkin, ZyXel, are good. Also engenious.
Cradlepoint if you you want backup on 3G cellular, or travel with it.

Last edited:
I agree.

I have a D Link DIR-655 that I'm using as a wireless AP and I think it works GREAT in that capacity. I have just about every feature turned off in the firmware and it's been quite reliable. It seems like the D-Link hardware is very nice but the firmware is awful and this seems rather odd to me, I wonder why D-Link has this problem with this model? Just about any other router that I've tried has been more reliable...

Did you find a good replacement for your D-link 655? Mine has been rebooting and I am looking to replace it as well.

I had almost given up on the DIR-655. I don't know which hardware version you have? Most of the issues stem with the firmware changes for FCC. Now I have Rooted my ROM back 1.11 can't be happier. I've tested the Wireless Router using Cloud-Base tools and the results is much better than I had ever hope. Also upgraded the 3x SMA using 5dBi TP-LINK ANTs gives me 15dBi doing the math below;

PS + EIRP + ANT - PL + EOR + EIR also factor in.

I had almost given up on the DIR-655. I don't know which hardware version you have? Most of the issues stem with the firmware changes for FCC. Now I have Rooted my ROM back 1.11 can't be happier.
Let's get this straight: You obtained a DIR-655. You put in newer D-Link firmware. It became unstable. You reverted to an older firmware version. And you could't be happier (with D-Link). Right.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!