What's new

Dir-655 still a great choice? What else to look at?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SeanFL

Occasional Visitor
I have about 10 dlink dir-655's installed at various locations. I also run them in my house and business. So far have been pleased with their uptime, lack of needing a reboot, etc.

One location is a school. The dir-655 is the first stop after the cable modem, serves up DHCP for about 40 machines, and provides the wireless in the front office area. The school took a big lightning hit, and unfortunately some of the gear in the front office didn't make it. I have one dead dir-655 and they are now on the backup.

Is there something in the near $100 price range that many find better than the dir-655? Reliability would be the top priority. Wireless range and throughput would be a close second.

The review of the ASUS RT-N56U looks pretty good. Anyone have thoughts on the asus and the dir-655?

Thanks for any help.

Sean

Last edited:
Opinion (disclaimer)

D-Link - most of their products' firmware is badly designed. Occasionally they do OK.
Netgear makes good metal-box switches. That's it.

ASUS great motherboards, but their logo on brand X WiFi is not a good think.

Belkin and Linksys and probably Buffalo ususally adopt good reference designs from Broadcom. Rarely are there lemon products.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!