What's new

How long will be firmware updates available for RT-AX88U (Pro)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oberhallodri

New Around Here
I have been using an ASUS RT-AC87U in my home for about 9 years. Now the time has come to replace it with a new router. The router is to be given a new life in the hobby room as an access point.

I think the RT-AX88U Pro would be a worthy successor to the RT-AC87U. Unfortunately, the router is already a bit outdated. The AX88U has been on sale for about 5 years. How long can I expect firmware updates for this router?

The last update for the AC87U was 7 years after its release (3.0.0.4.382.52545, 2021/05/18). Should I expect that there will only be updates for the AX88U for approx. 2 years?

I have been using an ASUS RT-AC87U in my home for about 9 years. Now the time has come to replace it with a new router. The router is to be given a new life in the hobby room as an access point.

I think the RT-AX88U Pro would be a worthy successor to the RT-AC87U. Unfortunately, the router is already a bit outdated. The AX88U has been on sale for about 5 years. How long can I expect firmware updates for this router?

The last update for the AC87U was 7 years after its release (3.0.0.4.382.52545, 2021/05/18). Should I expect that there will only be updates for the AX88U for approx. 2 years?

ASUS has historically offered firmware updates beyond expectation... I would proceed with buying a Pro model of your choice and hope for the best support going forward... next gen ASUSWRT 3.0.0.6.* firmware requires a Pro model at this time.

OE

Nope. The AX88U Pro was released in 2023

You're using the RT-AX87U well past it's prime (over three years past it's prime, today). The last firmware from Asus for it was in 2021.

No guarantees that any router will have a long support cycle today, and most likely, none will (the RT-AC68U will probably be the last exception).

The RT-AX88U and the RT-AX88U Pro are different models. The latter is the highly recommended one today and particularly when bought on sale, it is the most bang for the buck router with RMerlin support you can buy today.

Throw your luck in the ring with the rest of us as for how long it will be supported though. Asus does not guarantee anything like that.

Asus has been very good about maintaining updates for routers some of mine have been supported for over 8 years . These days who knows with the rate they are bringing out new models , buy and hope for the best . Asus has a good track record

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!