What's new

DIR-855 Vs WRT600N?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adam1v

New Around Here
Im looking at my first Wireless N router and im not sure which route to go down.
At the moment, I have a Linksys DMA2200 Media extender which can utilise the 5ghz frequency, and another media center with draftn wireless card.
Im looking for the best wireless router to give me the best performance for streaming videos over the network.

I think ive narrowed it down to the DIR-855 and WRT600N but im not sure which is more impressive.

Does anyone have any recommendations on either?

If you read around the main page and read thiggins's reviews of both these units you will quickly come to one conclusion right away: The DIR 855 is absurdly overpriced.

The 600N is being discontinued in favor of the essentially equal yet refined 610n, is it not? On paper, I suspect the 610n is probably the best direction for you to go.

Now I'll defer to the experts, but I've been doing a lot of research and fence sitting and that's what I've come up with at least for myself. :)

I think your right on the price!
Looking at the reviews though, the 610n appears to be a cheaper brand of the 600n, or have I got things mixed up?

The 610N is the replacement for the 600N, which is being discontinued. Both have the same list price. You might find the 600N cheaper due to clearance pricing.

If you already have a wireless router, you might also look at the access point / bridge products like the D-Link DAP-1522 and NETGEAR WNHDE111.

What kind of videos are you streaming and over what distance? If it's high def over anything more than one or two rooms away or one floor directly above, below, you may not have a happy experience. You might also want to read this article.

DIR-855 Not Available

The DIR-855 has been unavailable since its anouncement in Jan 2007 until the present.

Serveral times, it was supposed to be shipping but there is no place that has them and many online retailers are removing the product from their pricelists since they can never get them.

I was able to buy one from TigerDirect.com on August 7th for $289.99, but they have since gone out of stock again.

Working on setting it up now (to replace my DIR-655), hoping guest zone lets me segregate-off old legacy 802.11b/802.11g WEP stuff (Nintendo DS Lite), allowing me to move everything else to WPA-2 on 802.11N...

What is "Guest Zone"?

Remember that draft 802.11n operates in both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. So it's helpful to state which band when referring to "802.11N".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!