What's new

Disable NAT recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Akki

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I have just flashed 384.17 on my AC-RT5300 and many services/pages recommend to disable NAT

1. In traffic monitor :Note: When NAT Acceleration is enabled, the wired network traffic bypasses the CPU, which may affect the accuracy of Traffic Monitor. Click HERE to disable NAT Acceleration.
2. In time scheduling: Please disable NAT Acceleration for more precise scheduling control.

But when/if i disable it i can notice speed/range decrease in WIFI and LAN connected device (1Gbps) is getting max download speed of like 200-250Mbps, while if NAT is enabled i could get near 800-900.

How did you guys set you NAT?

NAT and NAT acceleration are not the same thing... The recommendation is only to disable acceleration, for compatibility purposes. You will still be doing NAT.

Every time I see the setting to disable NAT, I think why would anyone do that? Clearly, that option is there for a reason so there must be certain exceptional circumstances when someone might want to disable NAT; what might they be?

I would love to disable NAT on my router as it sits behind my ISP one which is also NATing. Unfortunately in these domestic grade routers most of the other services such as QoS, AiProtect and even more simple services rely on having NAT enabled so it renders the router pretty useless.

Disabling NAT acceleration is something different. I disable mine so all traffic is seen by services running on the router but I have a high spec model with a relatively modest connection so CPU performance isn't an issue.

Ah, ok ok. Thanks for clarification guys!

So i went again and disabled NAT acceleration and i can notice performance degradation, especially on LAN connected machine. Download speeds went down to like 200 from 850-900.

So i went again and disabled NAT acceleration and i can notice performance degradation, especially on LAN connected machine. Download speeds went down to like 200 from 850-900.
Yes. This is expected behaviour.

Every time I see the setting to disable NAT, I think why would anyone do that? Clearly, that option is there for a reason so there must be certain exceptional circumstances when someone might want to disable NAT; what might they be?
This is a summary of my lan
ebfaf06d54a3600d5fbc6aed12c35389.jpg

In my case NAT is done on the ERL-3 router.
The couple of Asus routers connected in my LAN, are set as routers with firewall and NAT disabled, just because I wanted to use QoS and Trend Micro stuff.
QoS does not need NAT (at least on the AC68P). QoS requires the router to be in router mode

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!