What's new

Disabling DHCP for pi-hole

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thofra01

New Around Here
I've been trying to set up a Pi-hole but my Asus RT-AC1200 V2 router is not using the Pi-hole as their DNS server.

It seems that Asus routers are a bit tricky and I got the recommendation to disable IPv6 and use the Pi-hole as DHCP server.

The problem is that since a recent firmware update my router's settings got drastically reduced:

RouterSettings.png

Sadly ASUSWRT-MERLIN, OpenWRT and DD-WRT are not supported for this router.

With the help of the post: Is it possible to change a routers settings via ssh? I've tried changing the router settings using SSH.

Commands I've used:
Code:
nvram set dhcp_dns1_x=192.168.178.149; nvram set dhcp_dns2_x=192.168.178.149; dhcp_enable_x=0; nvram commit; service restart_dnsmasq

(I changed the DNS server just to see if it would have made a difference)

Unfortunately DHCP is still enabled on the router and this is the only post that comes close to my usecase. I couldn't find anything else on the internet about this.
I've also tried to see if I could change a configuration file using WinSCP but didn't find anything useful.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.
What is the best way to check if IPv6 is enabled using SSH? Tried using ifconfig and I think it's disabled but just want to be sure :)

The device is in AP mode, so there are fewer options available than in Router mode. IPv6 won’t be active for an AP, in my recent experience. dnsmasq probably only runs to handle AiMesh guest networks 1 requests, but I haven’t looked that deeply into it.

That makes a lot of sense. I set it up as an AP because I had some issues when using it as a router. I'll change it when the network isn't used.

You have another router with LAN IP 192.168.178.1 before this Asus. Your Asus router is in double NAT and must have a different LAN IP. Your Pi-hole must be in Asus network IP range. You need to re-configure your network. No need to remove private IPs in screenshots.