What's new

Disabling TLS 1.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For the record, I left a 25-year career in IT about 6 years ago so I could raise my newborn son and live a more stress-free life... but given my background, I'm the "go-to guy" for anything computer-related in my new career. I always HATED the attitudes of most IT people: condescending and unhelpful, with out-of-control egos. The lower on the totem pole someone was, the bigger their attitude always seemed. If the solution is "the user is an idiot" (aka: PEBKAC), then yelling "you're an idiot" doesn't fix the problem. It just ensures that, when there's a REAL problem, no one will speak up and tell you about it. The people that become truly great at what they do are the people that can be quiet and listen. The ones that peak early and burn out are pretty consistently the ones that can't stop talking long enough to learn something new... the ones who would rather have everyone THINK they're the smartest person in the room rather than BECOME that person. At the end of the day, IT is a cost center, and you're expendable and easily replaceable... so maybe try to be someone people will miss.

Just something to think about from an old man on the internet.

As someone that also has a 20+ year IT career you have some valid points there.

And being expendable is part of the game in IT, its why I always tell people to never stay in one place to long. Continue to upgrade your skills and do you, these days most company's don't have loyalty to their employees. Its not like my parents generation where you would go into a work place straight out of High school and there till retirement.

However for as long as I've been doing this 90% of the time it is user error more so than bad code or faulty hardware.

And being expendable is part of the game in IT, its why I always tell people to never stay in one place to long. Continue to upgrade your skills and do you, these days most company's don't have loyalty to their employees. Its not like my parents generation where you would go into a work place straight out of High school and there till retirement.

The longest I'd ever been anywhere is just over 4 years. My #1 issue with IT is that once you're at the "top", they ALWAYS try to force you into management roles, even though you're a technical person... because they're scared to lose you, but the only way most companies (especially international companies) can raise your salary or offer larger bonuses is to saddle you with a management title.

I absolutely loved almost every job for the first year... and then the promotions started... then you're cornered... then you're bored... and then you're gone.

Y2K killed IT as I knew it... we were treated like KINGS... and then it was 2000, and nothing happened (like most of us predicted). The market was now flooded, and we became Maytag repair people. I was leading a fairly large project for a well-known consultant company, and i literally went from the nicest hotel I had ever seen to one with roaches within the span of one week.

However for as long as I've been doing this 90% of the time it is user error more so than bad code or faulty hardware.

I would put it more around 95% (PEBKAC)... but the #1 thing I learned was that being nice, friendly, and understanding goes a LONG way. When I "fix" something for someone (I somehow managed to NEVER work on a dedicated helpdesk), I show them what they did wrong, and how they can work around it or prevent it. It's like a 911 call... keeping the person calm and friendly will get you honest answers. Make Bob from Accounting feel dumb on week #1, and he DEFINITELY won't tell you he spilled his coffee on a stack of laptops on week #2. Most technical knowledge is useless after ~5 years... but empathy helps on EVERY. SINGLE. ISSUE.

Well that was an interesting thread. So if I understand this, the intent is preventing the possibility of a TLS 1.0 OVPN connection? Is this for a connection to your credit card authorization company, or is this for any OVPN connection across your networks?

Just to make sure, tonight, I'll remove the line from the custom config and see if TLS remains disabled and let you know.

You never specified until post #17 that you were talking about OpenVPN. That change will only affect OpenVPN, it will have no impact on the router's web interface (if you enable HTTPS) or any other TLS-enabled service (ftp/AiCloud/etc...)