What's new

Disconnection issues with Asus RT-AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattJC7

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've had the router from the title for nearly a year and currently using firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_46065. When I had VirginMedia as my ISP in my previous house it worked well with none of the issues I'm experiencing currently. The issues have started since moving to a new build property where they use the "OFNL" network - our ISP for this is SeeTheLight. I'm based in the UK. The setup was fairly easy, I had to put any string in the PPPOE user + password as per OFNL's guidance and away I went:
Yes, you can use your own router if it supports Point-to-Point over Ethernet (PPPoE) protocol, but you will need to configure the router and you may need to seek advice from your router manufacturer on how to do this.

When setting up your own router you may be asked for a "PPPoE username" and "PPPoE password". The seethelight network does not use these parameters so you can enter anything you like in these fields however it is recommended that they are not left blank.

Another parameter you may be required to enter on the router is "MTU". seethelight recommend this be set to 1492 or 1500 bytes.

Please be aware, the router we issue to you when you sign up with us is fully supported by our technical team, and we are able to troubleshoot any issues you may experience with your router. If you do decide to use your own router we cannot always guarantee our remote diagnostics will be conclusive. Therefore, you should retain the router we provide when you sign-up to us, as you may need to re-install it for us to perform any required diagnostics.

I have the OFNL modem connected to the Asus via an ethernet cable in the WAN slot. I then have a small patch panel, both internal cables, going to the living room and master bedroom (the latter is unused). Also have 3 cables routed externally installed a couple of weeks ago (for ease, we're not re-decorating yet!). Living room connected to SkyQ TV box and 1 external cable to desk, the 2nd to gaming PC and the 3rd unused currently.

A few weeks ago our SkyQ box refused to connect via LAN, and when viewing the status page on Asuswrt it seemed as though both the SkyQ and my other LAN device (gaming PC) was permanently connecting then disconnecting. From the syslog, most of the evening looked a bit like this as seen in spoiler, but I couldn't understand it. I seem to have a run of this quite often. There is nothing plugged in to eth1, unless that is the OFNL box? I'm not sure. My recent run seems to correlate with MAC addresses on current wireless devices

Feb 9 20:09:23 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:09:25 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-54
Feb 9 20:09:31 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-53
Feb 9 20:09:59 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:09:59 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:10:04 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:10:04 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:10:06 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-59
Feb 9 20:10:12 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-56
Feb 9 20:11:57 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:11:57 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:12:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:12:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

This evening, I was gaming and started to have disconnects on my PC however there is nothing in the system log to reflect this. It's difficult to say if it's an issue with the external cables, as I hold a connection but then drop out whilst gaming. I've also seemingly had this issue with the SkyQ box. I'm a complete networking noob, so really appreciate any guidance or advice on how I might better troubleshoot this issue.

Kind regards,
Matt

Hi all,

I've had the router from the title for nearly a year and currently using firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_46065. When I had VirginMedia as my ISP in my previous house it worked well with none of the issues I'm experiencing currently. The issues have started since moving to a new build property where they use the "OFNL" network - our ISP for this is SeeTheLight. I'm based in the UK. The setup was fairly easy, I had to put any string in the PPPOE user + password as per OFNL's guidance and away I went:
Yes, you can use your own router if it supports Point-to-Point over Ethernet (PPPoE) protocol, but you will need to configure the router and you may need to seek advice from your router manufacturer on how to do this.

When setting up your own router you may be asked for a "PPPoE username" and "PPPoE password". The seethelight network does not use these parameters so you can enter anything you like in these fields however it is recommended that they are not left blank.

Another parameter you may be required to enter on the router is "MTU". seethelight recommend this be set to 1492 or 1500 bytes.

Please be aware, the router we issue to you when you sign up with us is fully supported by our technical team, and we are able to troubleshoot any issues you may experience with your router. If you do decide to use your own router we cannot always guarantee our remote diagnostics will be conclusive. Therefore, you should retain the router we provide when you sign-up to us, as you may need to re-install it for us to perform any required diagnostics.

I have the OFNL modem connected to the Asus via an ethernet cable in the WAN slot. I then have a small patch panel, both internal cables, going to the living room and master bedroom (the latter is unused). Also have 3 cables routed externally installed a couple of weeks ago (for ease, we're not re-decorating yet!). Living room connected to SkyQ TV box and 1 external cable to desk, the 2nd to gaming PC and the 3rd unused currently.

A few weeks ago our SkyQ box refused to connect via LAN, and when viewing the status page on Asuswrt it seemed as though both the SkyQ and my other LAN device (gaming PC) was permanently connecting then disconnecting. From the syslog, most of the evening looked a bit like this as seen in spoiler, but I couldn't understand it. I seem to have a run of this quite often. There is nothing plugged in to eth1, unless that is the OFNL box? I'm not sure. My recent run seems to correlate with MAC addresses on current wireless devices

Feb 9 20:09:23 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:09:25 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-54
Feb 9 20:09:31 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-53
Feb 9 20:09:59 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:09:59 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:10:04 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:10:04 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:10:06 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-59
Feb 9 20:10:12 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth1: Deauth_ind D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-56
Feb 9 20:11:57 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:11:57 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:12:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth1: Auth D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 9 20:12:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth1: Assoc D6:29:77:15:B9:79, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

This evening, I was gaming and started to have disconnects on my PC however there is nothing in the system log to reflect this. It's difficult to say if it's an issue with the external cables, as I hold a connection but then drop out whilst gaming. I've also seemingly had this issue with the SkyQ box. I'm a complete networking noob, so really appreciate any guidance or advice on how I might better troubleshoot this issue.

Kind regards,
Matt

One thing to beware is that the AC88U has a reputation for the upper LAN ports5-8 failing.

OE

eth1 is the 2.4GHz WiFi network. D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C is a "BSykB" device, which I assume is your SkyQ box.

If your SkyQ box is connected by ethernet it shouldn't be connecting by WiFi. So either it is misconfigured of perhaps it has detected that it cannot reach the internet and is attempting to fall back to WiFi. The fact that your wired PC is also having problems suggests the latter.

As there are no other errors in the log this strongly suggests that the problem lies with your ISP.

One thing to beware is that the AC88U has a reputation for the upper LAN ports5-8 failing.

OE

That’s an interesting point because I think I was using 1-4 at old house and by chance I’ve been using 5-8 at new house. Will try this - thanks.

eth1 is the 2.4GHz WiFi network. D4:52:EE:2A:B9:7C is a "BSykB" device, which I assume is your SkyQ box.

If your SkyQ box is connected by ethernet it shouldn't be connecting by WiFi. So either it is misconfigured of perhaps it has detected that it cannot reach the internet and is attempting to fall back to WiFi. The fact that your wired PC is also having problems suggests the latter.

As there are no other errors in the log this strongly suggests that the problem lies with your ISP.
Thanks for your advice. I will discuss with them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!