What's new

Discord won't reconnect after restarting XT12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hammy434

Occasional Visitor
If I restart my XT12 and my ISP modem at the same time, Discord either doesn't reconnect at all, or occasionally it'll appear to eventually reconnect, but then has issues loading profile/server pictures. If I restart Discord, it never connects. All other services appear to reconnect fine. This affects multiple devices.

Console logs in Discord show lots of 404 errors which suggested a DNS issue to me, so I set DNS on my PC manually to Google's and it fixed it (tested by restarting 3x - reconnected every time vs never reconnects with XT12 doing DNS). XT12 is also using Google DNS, the issue happens regardless of whether I use ISP's DNS or Google, Cloudflare etc.

I tried replicating the issue with an old Netgear router, just in case it was due to my ISP's modem, and that worked fine. The ISP router also works fine. ISP modem/router is Virgin Media Hub 5, it can be used either as a router or in modem only mode.

I've spent hours trying to fix this and it seems to be an issue with the XT12. FWIW I had the same issue with a TUF-AX6000, but I returned that for other reasons.

I have already tried the following which make no difference:
-Reset to defaults
-Changing DNS server from ISP's to e.g. Google
-Restarting Discord (including via Task Manager)
-Uninstalling Discord and reinstalling (without restarting PC)
-Updating Ethernet Driver RTL8125B to latest version

I have tried the following which only fix the issue temporarily and it will always return after the next restart:
-Disable and reenable Ethernet adapter in control panel
-Restart PC

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can fix this? I'm already in contact with Asus and they haven't been very helpful so far.

Don't restart your router and modem. There is no reason to do so (none that you've given).

I was originally doing it to check for new upload speed boost on my ISP (they recently announced they're finally increasing upload), it requires modem restart to get the new speed profile and I always restart everything by flicking the power switch. Then came back to my PC and Discord wasn't working properly. I thought it was just a fluke but it happened every time I restart :/

But also I kinda expect everything to reconnect properly when I restart them. Interestingly if I do the modem first then router, or router first then modem, then it seems to work. But the modem takes like 2-2.5 mins and XT12 1-1.5 mins to boot up, so that takes a while :/ and tbh I think it should just work, literally been restarting this way for years and never had an issue related to it until now lol.

I'm just not sure if it's something I can fix myself or if it requires Asus to do something. Asus told me it's not possible for the router to cause this and implied it's a Discord issue, but that seems unlikely to me

It's pretty much standard practice to wait a couple of minutes for a modem to fully boot before powering on the router specifically to avoid this kind of problem.

You can also try setting the router's "DHCP query frequency" (WAN - Internet Connection) to "Continuous".

youre modem is in bridge ? So you’re xt 12 receive a public wan adres?

And you provider is providing a normal IP adres and not a Cgnat adres ?

It's pretty much standard practice to wait a couple of minutes for a modem to fully boot before powering on the router specifically to avoid this kind of problem.

You can also try setting the router's "DHCP query frequency" (WAN - Internet Connection) to "Continuous".
Thanks, unfortunately that didn't seem to make a difference :/ I also tried "Normal" but that broke the internet lol

If I set DNS in LAN settings it fixes the issue. which i guess is expected since it's doing the same thing as i was doing by manually setting DNS on my PC. But it means I can't access router with its domain name or use WAN DNS features like DoT :/ plus it seems like this is bad practice from doing a bit of Googling

youre modem is in bridge ? So you’re xt 12 receive a public wan adres?

And you provider is providing a normal IP adres and not a Cgnat adres ?

Yeah it's in modem only mode, XT12 has a Public IP (not CGNAT)

Okay, you tried also to disable airprotection ?
And adaptive QoS ?

I have sometimes issues with adaptive QoS and Apple HomeKit, by disable this function it solves the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!