What's new

Diversion Diversion 4.3.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, released April 02 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey so I saw recently online this new device called AcornAdBlock https://www.acornadblock.com/ apparently it’s running OPNsense and has the ability to block Hulu ads, YouTube ads, they are claiming that it blocks any ad. How is this possible lol and can we see something like this developed or implemented into diversion.

Hey so I saw recently online this new device called AcornAdBlock https://www.acornadblock.com/ apparently it’s running OPNsense and has the ability to block Hulu ads, YouTube ads, they are claiming that it blocks any ad. How is this possible lol and can we see something like this developed or implemented into diversion.
Probably only blocks ads and not video ads, just like Diversion does.

No the interesting thing is they claim it blocks all different ads / video / all YouTube ads / Hulu / etc.
The description does not specifically say that it blocks video ads, just ads. Apparently it runs on OpenWRT. I don't see anywhere OpenWRT can do more with a router based DNS blocking than one can do on Asuswrt-Merlin. Except they use an external DNS provider that can do that.

The description does not specifically say that it blocks video ads, just ads. Apparently it runs on OpenWRT. I don't see anywhere OpenWRT can do more with a router based DNS blocking than one can do on Asuswrt-Merlin. Except they use an external DNS provider that can do that.
Yeah thats why i'm curious !! I contacted them on facebook you can see what they are claiming -

An FYI for both Diversion and Adguard, both do not work when WAN Aggregation is being used. Diversion stats show no ad blocking under both Lite and standard. Adguard stats show it blocking ads but all come through anyhow.

RT-AX86U on 388.2 running AMTM, 2GB Swap File

@thelonelycoder

i have something like 10 routers in care and would like to host my customized "hostlist" and hostlist_fs on a webserver, could this be implemented in Diversion?

Attachments

• hostslist.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 32
  • hostslist_fs.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 26
@thelonelycoder

i have something like 10 routers in care and would like to host my customized "hostlist" and hostlist_fs on a webserver, could this be implemented in Diversion?
You can use diversions menu to change the lists to your own customize list under the same menu options that allow you to switch between preconfigured blocklists. You could "host" your list on github, and easily use the raw link to the list as the link to the diversion customized option.

1683693674680.png

1683693637203.png

Last edited:
An FYI for both Diversion and Adguard, both do not work when WAN Aggregation is being used. Diversion stats show no ad blocking under both Lite and standard. Adguard stats show it blocking ads but all come through anyhow.

RT-AX86U on 388.2 running AMTM, 2GB Swap File
That is because WAN aggregation uses the same code as dual wan, and wan failover. The DNS options behave differently when this option is enabled. No script is adapted for this. BTW please try unbound adblocking as well to let @Martineau know if unbound manager adblock feature works with WAN aggregation.

@thelonelycoder

That feature is unlikely to be built into Diversion.

hi guys, im just gonna ask. im newbie, but im already installed my diversion but, my cpu always spiking to 50% - 100% cpu usage when the Dnsmasq logging is on, this is normal or no?

1684473882257.png

1684473949144.png

when the Dnsmasq logging is off, its stable as 0% - 5% usage.

anyone know how can i fix this without disable the logging

hi guys, im just gonna ask. im newbie, but im already installed my diversion but, my cpu always spiking to 50% - 100% cpu usage when the Dnsmasq logging is on, this is normal or no?

View attachment 50212

View attachment 50213

when the Dnsmasq logging is off, its stable as 0% - 5% usage.

anyone know how can i fix this without disable the logging
Pixelserv-tls block query processing and dnsmasq log-async. Both of those cause these types of spikes, it is because of the mild processing overhead. If it is not breaking functionality, then you are fine. If these get out of control, maybe ditch Pixelserv-tls if you havent already. (switch to diversion lite).

Welcome to the forums @BuratnaMalaki.

Are you using a USB key? Or an SSD (128GB or larger) in an external enclosure with the router?

If you're using the former, ditch it for the latter.

Welcome to the forums @BuratnaMalaki.

Are you using a USB key? Or an SSD (128GB or larger) in an external enclosure with the router?

If you're using the former, ditch it for the latter.
Hi,
Could you please elaborate about this?
I am really curious about the need.
Thanks a lot

Simply put there are too many issues with USB 'keys' and their inferior nand and controllers.

An SSD is in a whole different league and can handle the writing the router demands without a hiccup.

(Note: I didn't verify the search results, but using Better Search will bring up many posts on this topic).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!