What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.0 No DNS With Certain Lists

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dmz

New Around Here
I had to re-configure my router and AiMesh nodes from scratch last weekend, and installed Diversion 5.0 on a fresh USB stick after doing so (I had previously been running 4.2, but as I say, I reconfigured from scratch, so I didn't save any settings, configuration files, etc.). I've found an odd behavior with respect to the blocking lists and DNS functionality on my network.

When installed, Diversion uses the Standard list and turns itself on. That works fine, and everything on the network is happy. But if I switch (using the web GUI or the SSH GUI, it doesn't matter) to the Minimal or Small list, dnsmasq apparently just... stops. I tailed the log via SSH with the Standard list enabled, and was able to see many DNS queries happening, but if I change to the Minimal or Small list while tailing the log, the log stops. No activity at all. Using nslookup on another machine on my network, I no longer get any responses from the router's DNS server. Switching back to the Standard list immediately fixes the problem, and DNS works fine again.

I'm OK with using the Standard list for now, but I was very puzzled by this behavior for a while, as I'd selected the Minimal list initially because that's what I was using with 4.2 previously. So I'm mainly posting here to see if anybody else has observed this, or knows what might cause it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @dmz.

It doesn't seem like you used a 'fresh' USB drive.

Minimal isn't available on the new version, I believe.

No, I definitely formatted the drive and installed from scratch. And Minimal is available in the new version - the release notes even say specifically in an upgrade situation (which, to reiterate, I am not in) to reselect it because its composition has changed:

“Also review if the 'Minimal' list is in use in b, 1, 2, https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt is obsolete. Re-Select the newly composed files for the Minimal list.”

No, I definitely formatted the drive and installed from scratch. And Minimal is available in the new version - the release notes even say specifically in an upgrade situation (which, to reiterate, I am not in) to reselect it because its composition has changed:

“Also review if the 'Minimal' list is in use in b, 1, 2, https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt is obsolete. Re-Select the newly composed files for the Minimal list.”
Don‘t use the Minimal and small list for the time being. I will issue an update that fixes the wrong URL in these two lists.
I‘ll try to get this out today.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!