What's new

Diversion Diversion and DNSFilter Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Istvanwagon

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I want to be able to fully leverage Diversion but also be able to manage my kids' devices to block them from certain websites on certain devices they like to visit during e-school. I have set up OpenDNS for those specific devices but then using pre-defined filters for all other devices for general protection. I have read the warnings during the installation with Diversion and the advice https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-use-an-upstream-dns-server-like-8-8-8-8-from-google.html, but I am still a bit confused as how to run Diversion in this case. I've attached screen shot for how things are set up on my AX-88U.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.34.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.35.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.36.05 AM.png

Thanks...

To use Diversion to ad-block on all devices (including the children’s) you would be better off to put OpenDNS servers in the WAN DNS section. Then set DNSFilter Global mode to Router. This would force all clients to use the router as DNS which passes everything through Diversion and then forwards to OpenDNS.

You would be subjected to the same OpenDNS restrictions as the kids, so you’d have to decide if it’s worth it.

If you don’t care about ad-blocking for the kids, you can take a different approach. The main thing for Diversion is that a client must use the router as DNS server in order to get ad-blocking. Your DNS Filter Global mode of “OpenDNS Family” is preventing that, except for the devices marked as “No Filtering”.

Hi,

I want to be able to fully leverage Diversion but also be able to manage my kids' devices to block them from certain websites on certain devices they like to visit during e-school. I have set up OpenDNS for those specific devices but then using pre-defined filters for all other devices for general protection. I have read the warnings during the installation with Diversion and the advice https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-use-an-upstream-dns-server-like-8-8-8-8-from-google.html, but I am still a bit confused as how to run Diversion in this case. I've attached screen shot for how things are set up on my AX-88U.

View attachment 29308View attachment 29309View attachment 29310

Thanks...
simple solution would be to use Adguard Family for children as a custom filter per child device which will block ads and filter their traffic on the DNS filter. Then use whatever you like for WAN and you will benefit from ad-blocking of diversion.

To use Diversion to ad-block on all devices (including the children’s) you would be better off to put OpenDNS servers in the WAN DNS section. Then set DNSFilter Global mode to Router. This would force all clients to use the router as DNS which passes everything through Diversion and then forwards to OpenDNS.

You would be subjected to the same OpenDNS restrictions as the kids, so you’d have to decide if it’s worth it.

If you don’t care about ad-blocking for the kids, you can take a different approach. The main thing for Diversion is that a client must use the router as DNS server in order to get ad-blocking. Your DNS Filter Global mode of “OpenDNS Family” is preventing that, except for the devices marked as “No Filtering”.

Thanks, Dave. I sucking up being subject to the same restrictions as the kids for now, and it does seem to be working (when I turn off my PIA VPN on a specific device).

The next question is how or can I make this work when VPN is on a given device? I have seen the advice at the link below but this is set up for having OpenVPN on the router, which I think I cannot do in this case. Is there a way to still get the VPN to follow these rules in this case?

simple solution would be to use Adguard Family for children as a custom filter per child device which will block ads and filter their traffic on the DNS filter. Then use whatever you like for WAN and you will benefit from ad-blocking of diversion.

Thanks. I am not familiar with Adguard, but I looked it up. Does this only work on browsers or within apps as well? I was hoping to have ads blocked within apps as well especially for the kids.

Thanks. I am not familiar with Adguard, but I looked it up. Does this only work on browsers or within apps as well? I was hoping to have ads blocked within apps as well especially for the kids.
To answer your question, it blocks at the DNS level, before the request responses get sent back to your device. So the answer is yes.

to use Adguard-Family with DNSfilter, Simply define it as a custom address and add it to each device as a filter option.
For Example....

1610822086285.png

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!