What's new

Diversion not blocking ads - what did I do??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

I have an Asus 3100 running Merlin 386.4. I just noticed Diversion is no longer working (checking it on https://canyoublockit.com). It seems to be running fine. It did work very well and I'm unsure what I did to break it. DNS Filtering is on and Router is selected. In LAN DHCP server for DNS Server I have the router IP entered, yet from the main page if I select the globe it shows my DNS are the ones provided by my ISP. I can not find that setting anywhere. That screen also shows DNS privacy modem disabled.

Can someone point me to where I messed up?

thanks

You are testing with what sort of device? If mobile, check that you really are using your home wifi connection (not accidentally turned off, etc), which would put you back on mobile data (unfiltered, ie. - with ads).
If testing on a laptop or desktop, make sure you aren't using a browser that is now setup to "protect us from ourselves" by enforcing "DNS Privacy" through means like DoH (which can bypass our desires to route DNS inquiries though our routers and Diversion).

You are testing with what sort of device? If mobile, check that you really are using your home wifi connection (not accidentally turned off, etc), which would put you back on mobile data (unfiltered, ie. - with ads).
If testing on a laptop or desktop, make sure you aren't using a browser that is now setup to "protect us from ourselves" by enforcing "DNS Privacy" through means like DoH (which can bypass our desires to route DNS inquiries though our routers and Diversion).

Good idea on the browser setting. That was not it in this case, however, I'll remember that for future missteps.

I'm still nowhere, just reading whatever I can find online (here) for solutions.

thanks for the reply

Last edited:
If I select No to 'connect to DNS automatically' I get the correct DNS (router IP) but it makes wireless useless. The networks show up for a few seconds then they are gone, then back again. On the main page, there Is a periodic red x between Internet Status and Wireless button.

driving me nuts

I am using an RT-AX88U with 386.5 firmware and having the same issue. I am not sure what I did wrong. I did have it working for awhile but now no luck.

I am using a desktop PC to test with Chrome and I did have Secure DNS on but just disabled it with same results.

Something I am very confused about is when I go to https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ it shows my ISP as Google. I can't find where I have set that?

Last edited:
Same issue as Chewie above (and a couple of posts in other threads), Diversion's "large" blocking list seems to miss things it used to catch for the last several days, most often for in-app ads. Hardware is RT-AX58U, firmware is merlin 386.5.

I thought it could be apps using new domains until seeing the report above (and in a couple of other threads) that others also saw less effective blocking this week. I'll start with a basic question: is it straightforward to link an ad-serving app to its ad domains using a merlin or Diversion log file? If so, which log do we start with?

So I had a bit of luck. I’m getting ad blocks again in safari on my iPhone and using chrome and FIrefox on PC. Still not luck with ads blocked using Youtube app on my google tv though.

I did have Adguard installed as well. It had ad blocking disabled but I did uninstall it. I also uninstalled and reinstalled diversion. did a reboot and now at least some ads are being blocked.

I was getting ads blocked for my YouTube app on Google TV for awhile but now they are back in full force
I’m thinking now YouTube has changed something to push more ads. Just a guess though.

I also notice that after doing an upgrade from 386.3 to .5 I had to uninstall and install Yazfi to get it working again. I started to think maybe I had to do the same with Diversion and things got a bit better for me after doing so.

Same issue as Chewie above (and a couple of posts in other threads), Diversion's "large" blocking list seems to miss things it used to catch for the last several days, most often for in-app ads. Hardware is RT-AX58U, firmware is merlin 386.5.

I thought it could be apps using new domains until seeing the report above (and in a couple of other threads) that others also saw less effective blocking this week. I'll start with a basic question: is it straightforward to link an ad-serving app to its ad domains using a merlin or Diversion log file? If so, which log do we start with?
Did you recently update? Or just using YouTube app and getting ads?

Did you recently update? Or just using YouTube app and getting ads?

Most familiar to me is the Scrabble game app, which was 100% ad-free when on home WiFi until a few days ago. Uninstalled and reinstalled Diversion without an obvious difference as yet. Will watch for improvement and open to other ideas for things to try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!