What's new

Diversion Diversion not working - Incomplete NextDNS removal (solved)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ah1750

New Around Here
So I was testing out NextDNS but where I live (West Africa) the latency was just too long and it was really affecting our internet speed here (which is slow as you can imagine). So I've installed Diversion on my AX86U 386.3_2 and it all seemed to go smoothly, except I don't have any ad blocking.

The main thing I notice is that while I'm logged in via SSH, the logging seems to have an issue. It will show enabled, but then when I go to update the ads counter, it says logging is disabled -- despite it being enabled. I've attached my install log in case anyone has some sage advice.

I've read through other threads here and have made sure various settings in the router are correct, but nothing has really changed its behavior. Daily Mail.co.uk is still full of ads.

The log file does seem to show some issues but I'm unsure how I would go about fixing those. I've done the basics though -- deleted, reboot the router, reinstall, etc.

Appreciate any help!

Attachments

• diversion-rt-ax86u install log.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 161
Well, for some reason it can't load the blocklist file. I don't use Diversion, but this is what the log says.

Check the condition of your usb drive. I had problems getting the blocklist to load when I had a thumbdrive going bad.

Thanks, I tried a different usb drive and ran disk check on it from amtm, but I'm still getting the same behavior. When it first runs it says "du: /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log: No such file or directory" at the very top so something is wrong there.

Thanks, I tried a different usb drive and ran disk check on it from amtm, but I'm still getting the same behavior. When it first runs it says "du: /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log: No such file or directory" at the very top so something is wrong there.
Run the blocking file update manually in b and read what it says.
While this runs, keep the Router Syslog window open in the WebUI and look for errors.

Sorry tried attaching several times and it wasn't going. It should be here now.

Edit: Ok, apparently not. Restarting my browser to see if I can attach a file : ).

You've attached the install log again, I'm more interested in what the syslog says or the output of the blocking file update:
Run the blocking file update manually in b, 4 and read what it says.
While this runs, keep the Router Syslog window open in the WebUI and look for errors.

Apologies, I attached the wrong file. Here's the pastebin link:

I agree though, the only thing different with my install was the previous NextDNS install, so I'm assuming it's some issue there.
Please post content of /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
Bash:
cat /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf

Here it is:

@Jack Yaz was right, NextDNS entries are still present even though you - supposedly - uninstalled it.

Make the file look like so, then restart the router after:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div # Added by Diversion
If uncertain what to remove, just delete the file and then open Diversion in the SSH UI, it will recreate the missing file and it's content.
You'd still have to reboot the router after for the NextDNS cleanup.

Ok, I found the problem thanks to both of you and sorry for the noob issue here.

NextDNS was not uninstalling despite running the uninstaller. I had already uninstalled it, or so I thought -- b/c it was not showing as active in the NextDNS web settings/monitor page -- but after deleting the dnsmasq.postconf file I noticed it would return following a reboot with NextDNS settings. Then I noticed that nextdns was still listed in root, so I ran the uninstaller again and did a reboot. Perhaps I failed to do a reboot after I un-installed nextdns originally, or they updated the uninstall script? But regardless that was the issue.

Diversion is working. Thank you both!

High latency in your home put aside, what is the benefit of running Diversion (adblocking) with or without Unbound (DNS)? Isn't that just extra work for the router? Wouldn't it be better to use NextDNS if the latency is 10-20ms (where I live) and let the router focus on other stuff? Ax86u.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!