What's new

Diversion Diversion/Skynet: Amazon Echo Device Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daveo

Regular Contributor
If you have any Amazon Echo devices (Dot, Show, etc) and use Diversion and/or Skynet, then you will need to whitelist the following to prevent the Echo/Echo Dot devices from rebooting frequently (Echo Show displays error) because it can't connect to Amazon Server (it appears to be an NTP server used by the Echo devices).

Diversion
Whitelist the following domain, then use option to process whitelist:
Code:
device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com

Skynet
Whitelist the following IP address, then use option to process whitelist:
Code:
158.69.35.227  << Now used as an Amazon NTP Server

Hmm, mine ping
Code:
device-metrics-us.amazon.com
but they don't seem to be affected when that's blocked. They haven't rebooted or anything.

I don't see any issues even though Diversion blocks many thousands of device metrics amazon

Might be the IP that skynet blocks that causes the issue, but since I've whitelisted those all 3 of my Echo Dot's have stopped frequently rebooting.

When I get some more free time, I'll try removing the whitelisted domain in Diversion to see whether issue re-occurs or not.

I have an Echo Studio, and I've experienced no issues with reboots or anything else. Who knows?

Hello,
this is only my 3rd posting, and I'm also "really" new around here!! So please bear with me... I may also be a bit off-target in that my problem is not related to an Amazon device, but to the Amazon site itself. Specifically, after installing Diversion and enjoying the drastic ad reduction on my Android phone and my laptop (MBP), I discovered that browsing or trying to shop on the Amazon site with my phone is somehow impeded by Diversion. The Amazon site appears but almost immediately I get some really unhappy doggies telling me that "uh, oh! something went wrong". This does not happen on my Mac, nor on the Android phone if I use AT&T's data instead of my Wi-Fi. I did whitelist the 6-7 amazon.com ad servers in Diversion, but that didn't help.

Can someone suggest what to do, please? Thanks in advance.

I'm using Asus RT-AC86U (3.0.0.4.384.19_0)

Thanks, dave14305,

I'll give that a try and see if I can make those sad Amazon doggies happy

Wow!!! Again, thanks, dave14305 -- that solved it; no more sad doggies. Really appreciate the help.

If you have any Amazon Echo devices (Dot, Show, etc) and use Diversion and/or Skynet, then you will need to whitelist the following to prevent the Echo/Echo Dot devices from rebooting frequently (Echo Show displays error) because it can't connect to Amazon Server (it appears to be an NTP server used by the Echo devices).

Diversion
Code:

Skynet
Code:
Here is my highly effective and comprehensive amazon whitelist.....

aan.amazon-adsystem.com
aan.amazon.com
aax-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-pdx.amazon-adsystem.com
aax.amazon-adsystem.com
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.in
amazonaws.com
c.amazon-adsystem.com
cognito-identity.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
completion.amazon.co.uk
dcs-edge-va6-802167536.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com
det-ta-g7g.amazon.com
device-messaging-na.amazon.com
dp-discovery-na-ext.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.de
fls-na.amazon-adsystem.com
fls-na.amazon.com
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com
ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com
ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com
kinesis.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
mads.amazon.com
mas-sdk.amazon.com
msh.amazon.com
ocsp.rootg2.amazontrust.com
ocsp.sca1b.amazontrust.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com
s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
s3.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com
smile.amazon.com
spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com
sqs.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
todo-ta-g7g.amazon.com
unagi-na.amazon.com
unagi.amazon.com
us-east-1.amazonaws.com
wms-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
wms-na.amazon-adsystem.com
wms-na.assoc-amazon.com
ws-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com
z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
pinpoint.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
mobileanalytics.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
aax-us-iad.amazon.com
aax-us.amazon-adsystem.com
cloudfront-labs.amazonaws.com
s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
amazoncustomerservice.d2.sc.omtrdc.net

Last edited:
Is there a quick way to add this list to Diversion's whitelist or do I need to enter them one by one ?

Is there a quick way to add this list to Diversion's whitelist or do I need to enter them one by one ?
Not now, but it will be simple with the eventual release of the full Diversion WebUI.

You can simply go to your white list using your favorite ssh terminal. It is located under /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist ( or maybe whitelist.txt) just copy and paste the list using nano editor. Then process the whitelist like you normally would under diversions whitelist menu options.

Diversion
Code:

Skynet
Code:
I was really trying to understand why some of my echo DOT are rebooting so frequently (I have 4 echo and few of them are rebooting frequetly).
Thank you for this advise.
I will try the thelonelycoder whitelist.
May be I can add the whole list in /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist just editing the file via samba ?

I will try the @thelonelycoder whitelist.
May be I can add the whole list in /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist just editing the file via samba ?
Sure, as long as you don't mess it up ;)

Here is my highly effective and comprehensive amazon whitelist.....

aan.amazon-adsystem.com
aan.amazon.com
aax-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-pdx.amazon-adsystem.com
aax.amazon-adsystem.com
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.in
amazonaws.com
c.amazon-adsystem.com
cognito-identity.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
completion.amazon.co.uk
dcs-edge-va6-802167536.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com
det-ta-g7g.amazon.com
device-messaging-na.amazon.com
dp-discovery-na-ext.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.de
fls-na.amazon-adsystem.com
fls-na.amazon.com
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com
ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com
ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com
kinesis.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
mads.amazon.com
mas-sdk.amazon.com
msh.amazon.com
ocsp.rootg2.amazontrust.com
ocsp.sca1b.amazontrust.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com
s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
s3.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com
smile.amazon.com
spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com
sqs.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
todo-ta-g7g.amazon.com
unagi-na.amazon.com
unagi.amazon.com
us-east-1.amazonaws.com
wms-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
wms-na.amazon-adsystem.com
wms-na.assoc-amazon.com
ws-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com
z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
pinpoint.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
mobileanalytics.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
aax-us-iad.amazon.com
aax-us.amazon-adsystem.com
cloudfront-labs.amazonaws.com
s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
amazoncustomerservice.d2.sc.omtrdc.net
If you are in the USA do you need to whitelist the URL's with "eu" or "ap"? Put another way, will whitelisting only URL's with "us" or "na" in their name be adequate if you live in the USA?

EDIT: when [nano]ing /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist[txt] i see an empty/new file. Is it supposed to be empty?

2nd EDIT: Figured it out, Yes it is empty. When I pasted the entire list of @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow to (nano /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist) I see those 60 items on the diversion whitelist on amtm. Still curious if the whitelist can be shortened based on where in the world you are. Why unnecessarily expand a whitelist?

Last edited:
EDIT: when [nano]ing /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist[txt] i see an empty/new file. Is it supposed to be empty?
New installations get an empty file, as are the blacklist and wildcard-blacklist.
The hard coded whitelist is coded into the blocking list update file.

I was really trying to understand why some of my echo DOT are rebooting so frequently (I have 4 echo and few of them are rebooting frequetly).
Thank you for this advise.
I will try the thelonelycoder whitelist.
If you are in the USA do you need to whitelist the URL's with "eu" or "ap"? Put another way, will whitelisting only URL's with "us" or "na" in their name be adequate if you live in the USA?

2nd EDIT: Figured it out, Yes it is empty. When I pasted the entire list of @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow to (nano /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist) I see those 60 items on the diversion whitelist on amtm. Still curious if the whitelist can be shortened based on where in the world you are. Why unnecessarily expand a whitelist?
I get your question , I am in the US. These have all drastically helped across all Amazon platforms for me. Others case purposes of other people may not be as in-depth or specific as mine. I am presenting this solely as a list that is very helpful across all amazon applications. I have children and family members that use amazon tablets, amazon fire sticks, amazon alexa, and amazon shopping apps on phones and tablets; this compiled list has helped across all platforms my household and family use.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!