What's new

Diversion Diversion Whitelist Comments

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dcsang

Regular Contributor
I decided to use the Diversion GUI to quickly whitelist a domain instead of going through AMTM. Of course, I failed to read the commentary indicating that comments would be stripped. After processing the newly added domain, all the existing comments were indeed stripped, and the whitelist was alphabetized. I export backups before each firmware update, and the whitelist file is present but there is no commentary included. Is there any way I might be able to recover the previous entries with comments? I just prefer to keep track of the purpose of each of my manual entries. I've reviewed some of the files in Diversion without success.

I decided to use the Diversion GUI to quickly whitelist a domain instead of going through AMTM. Of course, I failed to read the commentary indicating that comments would be stripped. After processing the newly added domain, all the existing comments were indeed stripped, and the whitelist was alphabetized. I export backups before each firmware update, and the whitelist file is present but there is no commentary included. Is there any way I might be able to recover the previous entries with comments? I just prefer to keep track of the purpose of each of my manual entries. I've reviewed some of the files in Diversion without success.
Because your question appears to be confined to the Diversion addon script and not Asus-Merlin in general, you may want to move your post/thread to the dedicated AddOn's subforum (or start a new one in that subforum) where Diversion is generally discussed to get a better response. Or search (or use the forum filter option) through Diversion threads/posts in the AddOn's subforum to see if there is past discussion similar to your question.

Is there any way I might be able to recover the previous entries with comments? I just prefer to keep track of the purpose of each of my manual entries. I've reviewed some of the files in Diversion without success.
Not by Diversion when the list is edited in the WebUI. However, editing a list in the SSH interface through el always writes a dated backup copy to /opt/share/diversion/backup.

Awesome, thank you very much! Now let me press my luck. Is there a better way to re-enter my whitelist, with commentary, other than to delete all the entries and input manually? I'm still learning...

EDIT: I just found the option to restore from a previous whitelist backup. I should have explored the options menu more carefully. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
Possibly manually edit /jffs/addons/shared-whitelists/shared-Diversion-whitelist, and process lists in diversion (el followed by option 4)?

EDIT: I just found the option to restore from a previous whitelist backup. I should have explored the options menu more carefully. Thanks again for the help!
The Diversion SSH UI is far superior in functionality than the WebUI version. And that will remain so for the foreseeable and possible long term future.

Possibly manually edit /jffs/addons/shared-whitelists/shared-Diversion-whitelist, and process lists in diversion (el followed by option 4)?
The shared whitelist(s) only contain the domains, no comments.

I really appreciate the guidance. The approach I took before reading post # 5 was to edit the last backup file, then importing it from the options menu. I could have restored an earlier backup, but this method also provided me the opportunity to sort the entries in a particular order. If there is a next time, I will take a shot at editing the active whitelist as you pointed out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!