What's new

Diversion Diversion whitelist limit of 1000 domains?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stebrick

Regular Contributor
From one of the reddit post I read, it appears that we can add a large Whitelist"

"Go in Diversion, go in edit lists, edit Whitelist, find " Use Hosted Whitelist" and copy this text in there: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PracticalChip/Adblocking/master/RawWhitelist.txt

I tried it. When processing this whitelist everything appears ok. However when updating the blocking list, it showed the following errors:

Code:
no local file: getting new hosted whitelist
 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PracticalChip/Adblocking/master/RawWhitelist.txt
############################################################################################################################################################################################################ 100.0%
 hosted whitelist is above the limit of 1000 domains, keeping existing whitelist

So, does it mean that we cant add more than 1000 domains in the whitelist? Is there any workaround?

you're doing something wrong if you're trying to block 1.5million domains (your other post) and then whitelist over 1000. start with the Standard block list (or large, if you insist) and work from there

wow, if you want to add more than 1000 domains to whitelist please turn of Diversion at all :) the same result.

wow, if you want to add more than 1000 domains to whitelist please turn of Diversion at all :) the same result.

Ummm, I actually just wanted to have a sorta "Master Whitelist" to make sure that domains which might be useful (such as amazon app as someone on reddit reported) wont get blocked in future - Install and forget so that I dont have to come back to it. Then I googled and it gets me that link. If you click into that whitelist link, it actually says "This [whitelist?] was added at the request of the developer of Diversion" So I thought it's a kinda good whitelist that I should have. Now you sound like I'm an idiot adding more than 1000 domains to the whitelist.:rolleyes:

But back to topic, is there really such a whitelist of 1000 domains limit implemented by Diversion? (not sure about the rationale behind this limit tho). And I guess there's no workaround to it currently?

Last edited:
From one of the reddit post I read, it appears that we can add a large Whitelist"

"Go in Diversion, go in edit lists, edit Whitelist, find " Use Hosted Whitelist" and copy this text in there: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PracticalChip/Adblocking/master/RawWhitelist.txt

I tried it. When processing this whitelist everything appears ok. However when updating the blocking list, it showed the following errors:

Code:
no local file: getting new hosted whitelist
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PracticalChip/Adblocking/master/RawWhitelist.txt
############################################################################################################################################################################################################ 100.0%
hosted whitelist is above the limit of 1000 domains, keeping existing whitelist

So, does it mean that we cant add more than 1000 domains in the whitelist? Is there any workaround?
The limit was introduced because some users did not understand how the lists work in Diversion. When adding a hosted list through el, the limit is 4000 domains.
However when updating the blocking file, an older limit of 1000 domains kicks in. This is an error and will be corrected with the next update.

The limit was introduced because some users did not understand how the lists work in Diversion. When adding a hosted list through el, the limit is 4000 domains.
However when updating the blocking file, an older limit of 1000 domains kicks in. This is an error and will be corrected with the next update.
I understand why you implemented the 1000 ~ 4000 domain cap for whitelisting. It is because of the amount of time it takes to cycle whitelisted domains out of the block list. Going through 1000 domains takes a considerable amount of processing time sometimes and not to mention demanding on the router.

Nice, I guess you are the developer :)
Million thanks for such awesome program.

Yeah, that issue sounds like something is inconsistent to me. Not a big deal tho. Thanks for letting us know.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!