What's new

DIY routers and APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am planning on using my 86U as a access point with VLAN tags using this script as a basis

This part is a bit of inconvenience. Native VLAN support APs is much easier. Asus home router VLANs fight is model specific. I believe using home routers as APs is a transition step only for folks going towards router, switch and APs way.

This part is a bit of inconvenience. Native VLAN support APs is much easier. Asus home router VLANs fight is model specific. I believe using home routers as APs is a transition step only for folks going towards router, switch and APs way.

Can't agree more. If the RasPi works out with OpenWRT, I will likely in the long run just purchase an off the self AP that has VLAN support and send the 86U to my Mom's house to replace an ancient N56.

In the meantime, I am just trying to limit cost (have already picked up a RasPi - which is pricey right now with the chip shortage, and a managed switch).

Some more low cost options in this thread here:

I've tried both, works pretty well. No issues with USB adapters and Mini PCIe adapter. They just need to be the right ones.

Glad to read the work "The Experts" are doing for the DIY group!
I hadn't thought about the pi as a router :)
This past weekend, I built a Pi 4 (8GB) server to move to Pi-Hole, PiVPN.
"Griswald Easy" to build and setup.

Since my TrueNAS server is running 24/7, I wonder if it would be feasible to run something in a Linux container. hmmm.

Since my TrueNAS server is running 24/7, I wonder if it would be feasible to run something in a Linux container. hmmm.

My RasPi4 NAS is barely taxed, so I put PiHole Docker container on it. Have not had any issues.

PS: I run Ubuntu on my Pi

I personally avoid multi-services running on single hardware. Router/Firewall definitely separate dedicated device.

@dave14305

Was just wondering on the Pi4 OpenWrt.....are you doing WAN/LAN VLANs on the single ethernet port, or adding a USB3/Ethernet adapter to have separate WAN and LAN interfaces?

@dave14305

Was just wondering on the Pi4 OpenWrt.....are you doing WAN/LAN VLANs on the single ethernet port, or adding a USB3/Ethernet adapter to have separate WAN and LAN interfaces?
I have a TP-Link UE300 (RTL8153) dongle for the WAN connection. So it's a bit of a pain to load a vanilla image since the driver isn't included in the base image. If I had a managed switch, I could get by without it since my DL maxes at 480Mbit.

I’m not likely to buy another all-in-one WiFi router again. I will do a separate wired x86 or RPi router with a modern Linux kernel, and a WiFi access point which can have all the proprietary WiFi drivers it wants. As consumer broadband speeds increase, the all-in-one paradigm shows its limitations. At least for power use

Turris Mox and Omnia can be tweaked any way you want. Mox is modular so you can add extra ports etc. and firmware is changeable on both models.

The new Omnia 2022 is on target for next year and that has plenty of new toys :

CPU 2GHz Quad-Core 64-bit, more RAM (4GB and higher),Wi-Fi 6, 5G, 2x 10Gbps interface (WAN & LAN), internal SSD option

Great thread here - gotta' love the SBC (single board computer) form factors whether they're x86 or ARM for leveraging a modular hardware approach to a router, then adding APs of choice - as APs are the rapidly moving/evolving targets these days.

The issue with many SBCs is availability in these 'lean' component times - so good luck with that. It's very hard to beat the RPi 4b/8gig at their price points today.

I've been a big fan of quotom boxes for routers (pick your software) as well as RPi 4b for a gps/ntp - or just about anything you can throw at them. The new compute module RPis are the way to go if you can buy/find one (eventually) as the host cards for them are evolving quickly...

The new compute module RPis are the way to go if you can buy/find one (eventually) as the host cards for them are evolving quickly...
Hadn't heard of this series before....very interesting.....

yes, as the new compute module is a daughter board that will drop into host pcb boards designed for differing hardware applications... as well the new compute module can be ordered without wi-fi - possibly practical when external APs are added in a router/AP application...

Last edited:
Probably will regret asking....but....

For those of you familiar with OpenWrt.....what are the essential packages would you want to see included in a 'base' build for a good out-of-the-box experience. Right now talking about an x86 target, so really no worries about memory or storage space. Think replacing an all-in-one router.

Last edited:
Probably will regret asking....but....

For those of you familiar with OpenWrt.....what are the essential packages would you want to see included in a 'base' build for a good out-of-the-box experience. Right now talking about an x86 target, so really no worries about memory or storage space. Think replacing an all-in-one router.
I don’t use much when I run OpenWRT.
Code:
htop irqbalance lsof sqm-scripts luci-app-sqm tcpdump

Very nice! I didn't know this thing exists. And the price is right.

The Pi World is filled with all kinds of Magical Holes to follow.
Edit:
Currently installed & learning Docker, Portainer, and WatchTower.

Last edited:
Though I'd give a little update on where I'm at with my x86 OpenWrt build...

Working and included in build
  • VLANs
    Configuration: Part gui, part manual
    Gui works well, I have 5 VLANs defined
    Firewall needs manual configuration
  • IPv6 Native
    Configuration: gui
    Includes prefix delegation by VLAN using /60 ISP prefix
  • Port Bonding
    The gui wants to put everything in a new bridge, which is not what I wanted
    I have two ports bonded carrying the VLANs to my switch (balance-rr), and two port ports bonded to my modem (802.3ad) for the WAN
  • dnsmasq(full)
    Configuration: gui, but just a colleciton of options to select
    Had to move to the (full) version to get DNSSEC/ipset support
  • GetDNS/Stubby (DoT)
    Configuration: manual, no gui
  • DNSFilter/NTPFilter
    Configuration: manual, no gui
    Fairly easy to implement for both IPv4 and IPv6 since it's a modern kernel and supports both route_local and NAT6
  • OpenVPN Server/Client
    Gui requires knowledge of what options to set
    Need to manually set up interfaces and firewall
  • OpenVPN Policy Routing
    This is actually pretty impressive. Supports domains, ports as well as addresses.
    Also includes a Netflix ruleset (gives credit to @Xentrk :) )
  • UPNP
    Needed to write bugfix for the gui
  • DDNS
    Currently using Google Domain and NoIP
  • ACME (Let's Encrypt)
    Needed to fix downlevel parameter references and add ALPN support
  • SSH access
    Set up using key access (re-used my router key)
  • vnStat (global transfer stats)
  • banIP
    Using FireHOL and country bans
  • WOL
  • irqbalance
    Configuration: default, no gui
  • ATH9K wireless support
    Had an Atheros mini-pcie card laying around to install, seems to work OK
  • Wireless AP
    AC1900P running my LTS Fork, manually configured with VLAN support

Not confirmed yet, but part of build
  • Samba4

Not yet tried, and currently not part of the build
  • MultiWAN
    Have no way to test this, so likely will be user only
  • Per Client tracking
    I really have no need, but see where some may want it. Quite a few alternative packages to pick from.
  • SQM/Cake
  • AdBlock

All together (openwrt, packages, luci) I've written about 30 patches to fix bugs or make things work the way I'd like :)

EDIT: Forgot to include having DDNS up also.

Last edited:
Thanks @john9527 for the info. Seems that I have some more reading to do as you had to do a lot manually.

I finally had a chance yesterday to set up my RasPi using the single Ethernet port for both LAN and WAN using a managed switch.

I did play around with Adguard Home (website version, not the OpenWRT package) on a VM install and was able to get it working without any issues.