What's new

DLNA limits

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmpr

Regular Contributor
I have about 40000 photos and family movies, and about 1000 films in my current media server (a very old qnap nas). I plan to use my XT8 (NO Merlin yet) as a media server. I have some questions:

- is there a limit in the number of files?
- how long does it take to scan all files? my nas takes days as it creates a thumbnail for each files, but I do not need it.
- when I reboot router, does it need to rescan all again?
- do you reccomend a 3'5 drive with external supply or a 2'5 usb powered?
- may I prevent guest wifi users to see dlna files? I have guest wifi isolated from lan, but don't know if this means isolated from dlna too.

Thanks.

I suggest investing in a new, faster NAS. Routers are not meant to be used as media servers. It's and add-on so the marketing can brag about it. If you have so many files/media, a new NAS will blow away a router with DLNA

I suggest investing in a new, faster NAS. Routers are not meant to be used as media servers. It's and add-on so the marketing can brag about it. If you have so many files/media, a new NAS will blow away a router with DLNA
In the NAS there are hundreds of available funtions and apps, but I only use FTP, DLNA server and Resilio Sync. I tried changing the NAS, but now I can't afford a new one, so I thought about usin the router as dlna server to take this service out from the NAS (that is very slow due to Sync).

So, do you think it is a bad idea. Perhaps you are right.

I have about 40000 photos and family movies, and about 1000 films in my current media server (a very old qnap nas). I plan to use my XT8 (NO Merlin yet) as a media server. I have some questions:

- is there a limit in the number of files?
- how long does it take to scan all files? my nas takes days as it creates a thumbnail for each files, but I do not need it.
- when I reboot router, does it need to rescan all again?
- do you reccomend a 3'5 drive with external supply or a 2'5 usb powered?
- may I prevent guest wifi users to see dlna files? I have guest wifi isolated from lan, but don't know if this means isolated from dlna too.

Thanks.
Hi, I have been using the DLNA function of my ASUS routers (previously a RT-AC3200 and now an RT-AX88U) since a few years ago without problems. Sure that a dedicated NAS will offer more functionality but seriously I have no complaints. Now to your questions :

- Limit in the number of files. Not sure, however my library is currently of 53000 pictures, 2800 videos and 9000+ mp3 files AND I can grant you that the system works correctly with at least DOUBLE of those numbers because I accicentally reindexed twice all my files yesterday by playing with minidlna.conf file and it did work flawlessly (including access tests from different clients).

- How long does it takes to scan all the files ? For my library it takes maybe 45 minutes (the RT-AX88U)

- Rescan is NOT necessary after a reboot if you configure it that way through the appropriate administrator GUI option.

- Drive : Any USB drive would do (try to avoid anything above 4 or 5 TB). I tend to prefer a 2.5 drive since most of them do not even need an additional power supply, specially if you are using a USB3 port and a USB3 drive. For instance in my 3 first years using this function I used a Toshiba canvio 3TB USB3.0 drive without problems. Right now I have a USB RAID1 2.5 box brand Archgon with 2x4TB drives.

- Guest wifi access... sorry I do not use guest wifi functionality.

Hi, I have been using the DLNA function of my ASUS routers (previously a RT-AC3200 and now an RT-AX88U) since a few years ago without problems. Sure that a dedicated NAS will offer more functionality but seriously I have no complaints. Now to your questions :

- Limit in the number of files. Not sure, however my library is currently of 53000 pictures, 2800 videos and 9000+ mp3 files AND I can grant you that the system works correctly with at least DOUBLE of those numbers because I accicentally reindexed twice all my files yesterday by playing with minidlna.conf file and it did work flawlessly (including access tests from different clients).

- How long does it takes to scan all the files ? For my library it takes maybe 45 minutes (the RT-AX88U)

- Rescan is NOT necessary after a reboot if you configure it that way through the appropriate administrator GUI option.

- Drive : Any USB drive would do (try to avoid anything above 4 or 5 TB). I tend to prefer a 2.5 drive since most of them do not even need an additional power supply, specially if you are using a USB3 port and a USB3 drive. For instance in my 3 first years using this function I used a Toshiba canvio 3TB USB3.0 drive without problems. Right now I have a USB RAID1 2.5 box brand Archgon with 2x4TB drives.

- Guest wifi access... sorry I do not use guest wifi functionality.
I will give a try to it. I will buy a 2'5' 4 TB usbpowered. Thank you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!