What's new

DNS Cache Poisoning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You need to look at your PC and see which DNS it is using. IF it uses the router DNS then the router was changed. If it is using a DNS server on the PC then your PC was changed. If you use a local DNS then it could have been changed.
One other thing to check is your host file. It is possible it was changed on the PC. More than likely it was your router.
i see what you mean, its definitely a hacked router as the DNS server on the PC was BT and the response wasnt. It just means someone hijacked the DNS from the router which is a feature some routers have. Checking the PC could help, the must've gotten in somehow. I suggest using something like shodan to scan your IP and see what is visible.

I still dont recommend cisco RV. I would never recommend one even if cisco gave me their blade servers used in T1 ISP routings for free which can do many Tb/s of layer 3 and probably layer 7 too.

I still dont recommend cisco RV. I would never recommend one even if cisco gave me their blade servers used in T1 ISP routings for free which can do many Tb/s of layer 3 and probably layer 7 too.

I guess we are at a stand off as I feel the same way about mikrotik.

If you ran on a bad DNS then more than likely they loaded something on your PC with a bad web page. You need to run all the free antivirus programs out there or maybe reload PC from scratch using the format command on your hard drive.

Thanks for the useful advice guys.

Coxhaus, what's your view of MicroTik based on? Their routers look like excellent value for money - I was actually just about to buy one to replace the RT66.

I had been looking at the Cisco RV340, but have been put off by the cost and the really awkward feature licensing Cisco seem to be enforcing on them. As a home user, I don't really want to be buying licenses to use something I've already bought!

I have not run the RV340 router yet. I believe there will be enough licensing for free for a home user. When I run it I will not buy licensing for home. I think you get 2 free.

I am running the RV320 router right now. I just upgraded my Cisco wireless units to WAP371 units so I will be waiting for a while before the next upgrade. My old Cisco WAP321 wireless units were EOL. They ran for years without any problems.

Microtik routers do not interest me and neither do ASUS routers. I tried a TP-Link business router a couple of years ago and it was too buggy for me. I used pfsense for a while which seemed OK until the latest releases.

To me Cisco is the most solid of the bunch. What works, works right. There is stuff broken but they usually get around to fixing it. Cisco keeps up with security very well which I believe causes them to break stuff. It is just what I like.

The Same Thing happened to me today Like a few days ago i noticed something was wrong in the router the echo ping was enabled when i had it disabled i noticed because I ping my IP from a different pc I had webui access off im not sure how this guy got in and changed my stuff he changed to the dns @ColinTaylor has in the link he provided I had to reset my whole router and install merlin and clear my nvram to be safe. I wouldn't have noticed till I visited some websites like ebay and saying 60 day old certificates expired/etc. This happened to my Asus RT-AC3100 Anyone know whos behind this?

Thanks for the useful advice guys.

Coxhaus, what's your view of MicroTik based on? Their routers look like excellent value for money - I was actually just about to buy one to replace the RT66.

I had been looking at the Cisco RV340, but have been put off by the cost and the really awkward feature licensing Cisco seem to be enforcing on them. As a home user, I don't really want to be buying licenses to use something I've already bought!
I have not run the RV340 router yet. I believe there will be enough licensing for free for a home user. When I run it I will not buy licensing for home. I think you get 2 free.

I am running the RV320 router right now. I just upgraded my Cisco wireless units to WAP371 units so I will be waiting for a while before the next upgrade. My old Cisco WAP321 wireless units were EOL. They ran for years without any problems.

Microtik routers do not interest me and neither do ASUS routers. I tried a TP-Link business router a couple of years ago and it was too buggy for me. I used pfsense for a while which seemed OK until the latest releases.

To me Cisco is the most solid of the bunch. What works, works right. There is stuff broken but they usually get around to fixing it. Cisco keeps up with security very well which I believe causes them to break stuff. It is just what I like.
mikrotik routers are excellent value for money, but when you buy one for home they dont give you the right data, just like with ubiquiti. So you need to know which one you are buying in terms of your speed needs. Unlike mikrotik cisco has had so much of a head start but has yet to produce a cisco RV that is better than a mikrotik routerboard. Mikrotik at one point was very buggy just like how buggy cisco rv and other vpn routers were in the past but they have become a very stable router and do fix bugs as well.

If you have the skills i suggest picking mikrotik. The cisco RV is an aging platform and shows how badly cisco has been in quality as the cisco RV is not actually a cisco product but more of a linksys one first, only cisco took the product when they bought linksys and marketed it under their brand. For instance, many brands have the same router as the cisco RV too. To me the cisco RV is a con.

mikrotik routers are excellent value for money, but when you buy one for home they dont give you the right data, just like with ubiquiti. So you need to know which one you are buying in terms of your speed needs. Unlike mikrotik cisco has had so much of a head start but has yet to produce a cisco RV that is better than a mikrotik routerboard. Mikrotik at one point was very buggy just like how buggy cisco rv and other vpn routers were in the past but they have become a very stable router and do fix bugs as well.

If you have the skills i suggest picking mikrotik. The cisco RV is an aging platform and shows how badly cisco has been in quality as the cisco RV is not actually a cisco product but more of a linksys one first, only cisco took the product when they bought linksys and marketed it under their brand. For instance, many brands have the same router as the cisco RV too. To me the cisco RV is a con.

I think the RV320 and probably RV420 are excellent routers. They cover the basics for home use and small business. Access lists in the Cisco RV routers makes the RV routers more advanced than most routers on this site and more secure. Cisco keeps up with security better than any other company. Mikrotik has so many security issues I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

There is no Linksys in the latest Cisco routers. They sold Linksys years ago. System Error Message does not know what he is talking about. He is just bad mouthing Cisco.

I think the RV320 and probably RV420 are excellent routers. They cover the basics for home use and small business. Access lists in the Cisco RV routers makes the RV routers more advanced than most routers on this site and more secure. Cisco keeps up with security better than any other company. Mikrotik has so many security issues I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

There is no Linksys in the latest Cisco routers. They sold Linksys years ago. System Error Message does not know what he is talking about. He is just bad mouthing Cisco.
not so, both mikrotik and cisco RVs were buggy and crappy routers in the past. Despite vulnerabilities found in them ACLs help. However what i dont like about the cisco RV is that it simply is not representative of cisco quality. They did sell linksys years ago but the cisco RV is one product they gained from it. If you search, the cisco RV was around 10 years ago, and as i've been saying these RV/VPN routers are an aging outdated platform that are buggier than consumer routers. My criticism of the cisco RV does make them put more effort into the firmware though.

What you're talking about ACLs, openWRT can do the same thing too using a consumer router, so i really dont see whats so good about the cisco RV as the price, reliability and features cant compare to a consumer router and openWRT except for dlink and possibly netgear.

The RV series is now Cisco designed. They are not the same routers as in the past. The software is much better than in the past. I have owned both. You are living in the past.

It is good openWRT can do ACLs. It is a step in the right direction. I am not sure that many people really run it. So I guess we have 3 good candidates for routers openWRT, pfsense and Cisco. It is not just the hardware but the software which makes the difference and Cisco's software has gotten better and faster.

Please stay on topic, gentlemen. Move router trash talk to another thread.