What's new

DNS Director problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porfavorhelp

Regular Contributor
I am using NextDNS with merlin firmware and I have the GT-AXE16000 and TP-Link RE715X as the extender. The DNS director is setup as Router mode with all devices set as no redirection, since each one I has it own Nextdns profile ID. The problem is that when any device connect to the TP-Link RE715X extender the internet is blocked. I did troubleshoot and set TP-Link RE715X as no redirection too and does not work. Any idea what is happening?

Why do you use DNS Director at all if every device is set to no redirection?
Because if you just set the DNS in the router wan settings you still have some requests go to the ISP. The only way to force all devices on the network to use a specified DNS consistently is to use DNS Director and set it to Router.

The only way to force all devices on the network to use a specified DNS consistently is to use DNS Director and set it to Router.
I understand, but if OP then adds every client manually with “No redirection”, what’s left to be redirected?

I am using NextDNS with merlin firmware and I have the GT-AXE16000 and TP-Link RE715X as the extender. The DNS director is setup as Router mode with all devices set as no redirection, since each one I has it own Nextdns profile ID. The problem is that when any device connect to the TP-Link RE715X extender the internet is blocked. I did troubleshoot and set TP-Link RE715X as no redirection too and does not work. Any idea what is happening?

The extender should have no DNS in it at all. Are you running it in router mode (if it has that)? Makes no sense that it would interact with DNS at all.

I doubt your problems with the extender have anything to do with DNS at all. Sounds like it just plain isn't working right so reset it and set it up again making sure you have everything set correctly (and it is within range of the main router). To confirm, when a device is connected via the extender try pinging something via hostname (google.com, and also something via IP (like 8.8.8.8). If neither work it is not DNS related. See if you can ping your main router's IP.

As mentioned already, you do not need DNS director if you are setting it to "no redirection". That is doing nothing.

The extender should have no DNS in it at all. Are you running it in router mode (if it has that)? Makes no sense that it would interact with DNS at all.

I doubt your problems with the extender have anything to do with DNS at all. Sounds like it just plain isn't working right so reset it and set it up again making sure you have everything set correctly (and it is within range of the main router). To confirm, when a device is connected via the extender try pinging something via hostname (google.com, and also something via IP (like 8.8.8.8). If neither work it is not DNS related. See if you can ping your main router's IP.

As mentioned already, you do not need DNS director if you are setting it to "no redirection". That is doing nothing.
Thank you but I fixed it. I found out that when my cellphone connect to the extender produce a different Mac address so I input that address in the dns director as no redirection and it works. Thank