What's new

Dns on LAN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oferlaor

Occasional Visitor
I have set my LAN to be class C 10.0.0.X

I've tried to set my LAN DNS (not my WAN DNS overide) to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 but this has a strange behavior that once this is set, DHCP starts handing out faulty 192.168.0.X addresses.

Any idea why this would happen? Seems like a strange bug to me...

Looks like your DHCP server is not setup to match your range! Is the IP handed out to client in the 10.x range you setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DNS I set up are outside the area, but from what I understand, these are the values that the router should pass along to anyone requesting DHCP, so why does it have any affect on the IP range my devices are getting?

The DNS I set up are outside the area, but from what I understand, these are the values that the router should pass along to anyone requesting DHCP, so why does it have any affect on the IP range my devices are getting?
DHCP server (at least in the consumer routers) is normally set-up to give out to clients its own address as DNS server. In fact, most of them run Unbound based DNS resolver/forwarder ( i.e. a DNS proxy). This configuration would first check your DHCP leases for the name, and then forward the query to external DNS you set-up if it is not found locally. You *can* configure your DHCP to give out external DNS server addresses to clients but then you will lose the ability to resolve local names. I hope I understood your question correctly.

You are correct in thinking that this shouldn't be happening. What you are doing (specifying external DNS servers for DHCP clients) is quite straight forward and people here do it all the time. I can't check it here because I'm probably running a different hardware and firmware version to you.

You haven't told use what router and firmware version this is happening on.

The fact that it is handing out 192.168.0.x addresses is suspicious because the default network for Asus is 192.168.1.x. That strongly suggests that there is another device on your network acting as a DHCP server.