What's new

DNS question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gamewarden3006

New Around Here
RTN66U Firmware 3.0.0.4.220

ok this is probably simple but I do have a question about the DNS settings on this router.

I am on DSL, under the WAN tab on left I have checked no to connect to DNS servers automatically and I have entered the 2 server I wish to use. Simple enough.
what is confusing me though is that there is another place to put DNS into under the LAN tab on left then under the DHCP tab on top. there is a place for DNS / WINS. it says if you leave it blank then the router does the DNS...

so am I correct in thinking that if I leave the one under LAN blank that the router will simply pass route the DNS request to one of the 2 servers I specified under the WAN tab?

If not, what am I missing?

Thanks for any help

Yes, you are correct that if you leave the DNS on the LAN DHCP tab blank, then DNS service will be supplied by the DNS servers that you give on the WAN Internet Connection tab.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!