What's new

DNS resolution failed errors

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geno888

Occasional Visitor
Hi :)

I have a problem with my router, and I hope someone can help me to find a solution.

It is a TP-Link TL-R600VPN, version 1 hardware. As in title, I get a lot (and I mean hundreds) of "DNS resolution failed" errors.

I noticed that this happens most of times (I'd say about 90%) when I download a torrent: after some time (variable, it can happen after a couple of hours or after a few minutes) the torrent is not able to download anything until I reboot the router.

Other connections works just fine (i.e. firefox works correctly), and I can download a file at full speed with the browser; only the torrent stop to work.

I already installed latest firmware and most of settings are default (everything works, so I didn't change much other than admin password and router IP), and a hard reset doesn't solve the problem (I already tried).

The torrent is set to open quite few connections, so I don't think that the router is over-flooded with requests. Currently values are the following:

Global maximum number of connections --> 100
Maximum number of connected peer for torrent --> 50
Number of upload slots per torrent --> 3

Default values in uTorrent were a lot higher (I can't remember exactly how much, but I'm pretty sure that it was something like double or more). However, according to specifications, this router should be able to manage much more connections than that, so I have no idea why the torrent kills the router.

Any idea why I get so many DNS errors? Any suggestions about where to check for more detailed information? The router log is pretty useless, because it shows no errors at all (I get the DNS errors in the uTorrent log)

Thanks in advance :)

When you start getting the errors, try pinging the router like ping 192.168.1.1 -t
You should get a steady reply in ms if your router is not overwhelmed by the torrent client.
If the reply time is not steady, you have found your culprit: your router cannot handle the traffic.

Also, if I recall, those TP-Link routers have some DDoS protection which might get triggered by your p2p traffic and block your dns requests.
Try disabling them and see if it makes any difference.

Also, your router can only do 120 Mbps NAT. That is pretty low for today's standard.

Thanks for your answer :)

I don't know if is true but a friend said me that the culprit could be not the router, but the majors that flood the net with fake clients, causing a sort of DDoS attack that basically kill the router. At the moment I don't have any torrent running (I rarely use it) but I'll try the test you suggested next time.

Also, your router can only do 120 Mbps NAT. That is pretty low for today's standard.

When I purchased the router seemed a quite large number, but indeed seems outdated now. Any suggestion for a new router to replace it?

Thanks again for your help :)

EDIT: I don't know what happened to the previous message, I hope I didn't broke any forum rule.

Sorry for that :(

As far as a router recommendation goes, a D.I.Y. x86 is the choice nowadays.
There are plenty of posts in this forum about those.

The problem is with your router. VPN routers are outdated. Even recent tp link routers are better. I cant believe people are still buying these routers and that they're still being sold as consumer routers has far surpassed them even in vpn protocol support.

Hi :)

I'm sorry to replying so late, but I'm having some troubles in these days at home, please be patient :(

I will read some more threads here in the forum looking for a better router. In the meantime I can confirm for sure that these issues arise when I try to download something via torrent, because I purposely made a test and the errors appeared again. Other than that, everything seems working good.

Bottom line: stay away from torrents :D

Thanks again everybody for your help :)

Sorry to come to his thread late but is it possible you might have not have chosen the best DNS server for your connection? I have had good experiences with namebench.

I agree with @Deepcuts comment above "a D.I.Y. x86 is the choice nowadays" as I understand it pfSense now comes with unbound, a local DNS caching server enabled by default.

Hope you got it sorted anyway :)

Chunks