What's new

DNS usage priority

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dvohwinkel

I'm confused as to what is the order that is used..

LAN->DHCP has a DNS settings..

LAN->DNSFILTER has a DNS setting (for individual machines)
Gives you protection from things like
  • Security = Malicious content
  • Adult = Malicious + Sexual content
  • Family = Malicious + Sexual + proxy/VPN + Mixed content
WAN->WAN DNS Settings (Gives you DNS over TLS)

How do you know which is going to be used and which override the others?

Regards

-D

I'm confused as to what is the order that is used..

LAN->DHCP has a DNS settings..

LAN->DNSFILTER has a DNS setting (for individual machines)
Gives you protection from things like
  • Security = Malicious content
  • Adult = Malicious + Sexual content
  • Family = Malicious + Sexual + proxy/VPN + Mixed content
WAN->WAN DNS Settings (Gives you DNS over TLS)

How do you know which is going to be used and which override the others?

Regards

-D

What I think is the order.. This is all from the perspective from machines sitting on your network making queries.. not what the router itself is doing..

1) LAN->DNSFILTER has a DNS setting (for individual machines) overrides all other DNS settings.

2)If you leave LAN-DNSFILTER turned off.. and
If you leave LAN-> DHCP setttings blank or use your router's IP then
WAN->WAN DNS Settings (Gives you DNS over TLS) is what is used..

3) If you leave LAN-DNSFILTER turned off.. and
If you put something besides your routers's IP in LAN-> DHCP settings
then your machines will get this sent to them to use in their Ethernet settings for DNS.
and they will NOT use WAN->WAN DNS Settings (Gives you DNS over TLS)

Is that right?

There is one additional behavior that is LAN->DNSFILTER ON, but DNSFILTER to apply set to ROUTER, then my understanding is that the LAN or WAN DNS Setting is used AND ENFORCED for clients. This is very useful to make sure for instance that all the LAN clients are using for instance a given DNS with DoT for instance. Am I right?

There is one additional behavior that is LAN->DNSFILTER ON, but DNSFILTER to apply set to ROUTER, then my understanding is that the LAN or WAN DNS Setting is used AND ENFORCED for clients. This is very useful to make sure for instance that all the LAN clients are using for instance a given DNS with DoT for instance. Am I right?
Yes. The Router setting in DNSFilter will use the LAN DHCP DNS 1 server if populated. Otherwise it will default to the router IP as the enforced DNS resolver for clients. It can be confusing and might be easier if there were separate “Router” and “LAN DHCP DNS” choices.

what I wish is that DNSFilter custom 1-2-3 could be defined under custom config files and able to use more than one server for instance, if the custom 1 has a backup dns-server.

what I wish is that DNSFilter custom 1-2-3 could be defined under custom config files and able to use more than one server for instance, if the custom 1 has a backup dns-server.
Unfortunately, the underlying iptables rules can't make use of such a backup IP. :(

Unfortunately, the underlying iptables rules can't make use of such a backup IP. :(
i know just wishful thinking. Alot of feature limits due to IPtables.