What's new

DNSFilter does not give desired result

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sweetlyham

Occasional Visitor
I have these settings configured below on the DNSFilter page. The aim of my configuration is for all LAN clients except my TV (Sony) and AdGuard Home (Raspberry) to be directed to my AdGuard Home server.

The settings I have configured for my TV (Sony) also should hijack any DNS queries and forward them to the chosen DNS populated in DNS 1 however this is not happening. When checking my AdGuard Home server logs, the TV is still sending queries to AdGuard Home.

I have tried a reboot and have applied the settings multiple times but still does not work.

Have I configured it incorrectly and if so what should be the correct setting as per my descriptions above?

1624348720677.png

1624348743246.png

1624348760332.png

I tried to explain it in your other thread:

When the TV is told via DHCP to use 192.168.0.2 as its DNS server, it won’t send any DNS requests to (or through) the router (which means they cannot be intercepted by DNSFilter).

You could try adding a manually assigned DHCP address with DNS server for the TV.

I tried to explain it in your other thread:

When the TV is told via DHCP to use 192.168.0.2 as its DNS server, it won’t send any DNS requests to (or through) the router (which means they cannot be intercepted by DNSFilter).

You could try adding a manually assigned DHCP address with DNS server for the TV.
If you looked at my images (particularly the 1st one) you'll see that the TV should be using the DNS populated in field for Custom 1.

Or have I misunderstood the purpose of what can be done in DNS Filter tab?

All LAN clients are to have DNS queries sent through to the DNS specified in global settings which in this case is the DNS populated in DHCP.

Except for two clients, the TV and AdGuard Home server. TV queries are to be hijacked and sent to the DNS specified in Custom 1 and AdGuard using DNS from WAN OR DHCP as it's set to unfiltered.

Last edited:
If you looked at my images (particularly the 1st one) you'll see that the TV should be using the DNS populated in field for Custom 1.

Or have I misunderstood the purpose of selecting client Mac address and then selecting which filter mode to use?
The TV is only aware of the configuration sent via DHCP. DNSFilter creates firewall rules on the router to override client behavior. The TV would have no idea that you’ve set a rule for the Custom 1 server. Only when DNS requests from the TV reach the router would the DNS Filter firewall rules affect the TV. When the TV sends DNS to 192.168.0.2, the router and firewall are not aware of those packets.

The TV is only aware of the configuration sent via DHCP. DNSFilter creates firewall rules on the router to override client behavior. The TV would have no idea that you’ve set a rule for the Custom 1 server. Only when DNS requests from the TV reach the router would the DNS Filter firewall rules affect the TV. When the TV sends DNS to 192.168.0.2, the router and firewall are not aware of those packets.
Ok so sounds like documentation or wiki needs to be clarified then advising this, or I don't be so dumb haha!

The solution I worked out was to put the AdGuard Home IP (192.168.0.2) into custom 2 and point the global rule to custom 2, I then removed the IP from DNS in DHCP which stopped DHCP dishing out the IP for AdGuard.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!