What's new

dnsmasq and domain redirect

weaverinva

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
I have read this....
and started to look at this... http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

A bit overwhelming. I would just like the configuration in the .conf file to subsitute certain domain names for a common query.

For example, I want m.youtube.com to be redirected to restricted. youtube.com but I want anything not resolved by the local list to go to opendns.org DNS server 208.67.222.222.

Any help to configure this appreciated. Peace.

r0bbieNZ

Occasional Visitor
heres my script - you need to get into SSh

echo "cname=www.youtube.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" > /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=m.youtube.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=www.youtube-nocookie.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=youtube.googleapis.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=youtubei.googleapis.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "216.239.38.120 restrictmoderate.youtube.com" > /jffs/configs/hosts.add

service restart_dnsmasq

Then check https://www.youtube.com/check_content_restrictions to see if it has taken effect

weaverinva

Occasional Visitor
Thank you! The above makes sense to me. However several questions if I might.
1) Following directions, I turned on jffs partition but did not format it.
2) The above shows the exceptions, but where do I set the upline DNS Server for all the rest of the upline queries? I don't want to use my ISP DNS which is too open. I use opendns DNS server IP. So my confusion is that in Asus router, the forward DNS requests is supposed to be turned off, right?
--> So do I still put my two opendns servers in DNS 1 and 2 and these exceptions above will still be adhered to and then everything else will go through DNS 1......even with forward turned off.

I appreciate your response!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!