What's new

dnsmasq and domain redirect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

weaverinva

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
I have read this....
and started to look at this... http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

A bit overwhelming. I would just like the configuration in the .conf file to subsitute certain domain names for a common query.

For example, I want m.youtube.com to be redirected to restricted. youtube.com but I want anything not resolved by the local list to go to opendns.org DNS server 208.67.222.222.

Any help to configure this appreciated. Peace.

heres my script - you need to get into SSh

echo "cname=www.youtube.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" > /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=m.youtube.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=www.youtube-nocookie.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=youtube.googleapis.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "cname=youtubei.googleapis.com,restrictmoderate.youtube.com" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
echo "216.239.38.120 restrictmoderate.youtube.com" > /jffs/configs/hosts.add

service restart_dnsmasq

Then check https://www.youtube.com/check_content_restrictions to see if it has taken effect

Thank you! The above makes sense to me. However several questions if I might.
1) Following directions, I turned on jffs partition but did not format it.
2) The above shows the exceptions, but where do I set the upline DNS Server for all the rest of the upline queries? I don't want to use my ISP DNS which is too open. I use opendns DNS server IP. So my confusion is that in Asus router, the forward DNS requests is supposed to be turned off, right?
--> So do I still put my two opendns servers in DNS 1 and 2 and these exceptions above will still be adhered to and then everything else will go through DNS 1......even with forward turned off.

I appreciate your response!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!