What's new

DNSMasq?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I use OpenMediaVault for my homebuilt NAS.
And I use the DNS service to get my own asuscomm.com adress. Which works good. But when accessing services like Transmission, Plex, SickBeard, CouchPotato etc. I need to use the port number. Like xxx.asuscomm.com:8081
I want it to be /transmission

I have a guide I can follow to do this. But I need to setup my router to DNS local resolver or DNSMasq according to the guide.

Like this picture:
http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Attachment/1380-wrt-png/

But I can't find this feature in Merlin, and I use the latest non-beta.

Please help me out, thank you!

Hi,

I use OpenMediaVault for my homebuilt NAS.
And I use the DNS service to get my own asuscomm.com adress. Which works good. But when accessing services like Transmission, Plex, SickBeard, CouchPotato etc. I need to use the port number. Like xxx.asuscomm.com:8081
I want it to be /transmission

I have a guide I can follow to do this. But I need to setup my router to DNS local resolver or DNSMasq according to the guide.

Like this picture:
http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Attachment/1380-wrt-png/

But I can't find this feature in Merlin, and I use the latest non-beta.

Please help me out, thank you!

This has nothing to do with dnsmasq. Dnsmasq only handles hostname resolution, it doesn't do anything related to ports, or http virtual hosts.

Okey, please see here: http://forums.openmediavault.org/in...emon-webUI-access-through-prefix-hostname-Ng/

Under "Pre-Requirements".

What does he mean then? Is there an option for this in Asus Merlin?

That guide is a bit of a mess. His introduction talks about using sub-folders in the URL within the same hostname/IP, but he describes below how to use virtual hosting with different hostnames per services. That's two completely different things.

dnsmasq would be required if you wanted to use a different hostname for each service. If you just want to do it using sub-folders, then it's all configured in the web proxy he's describing.

Those virtual hosts would also only work while you are within your own network, so you can't use the DDNS for this.

That guide is a bit of a mess. His introduction talks about using sub-folders in the URL within the same hostname/IP, but he describes below how to use virtual hosting with different hostnames per services. That's two completely different things.

dnsmasq would be required if you wanted to use a different hostname for each service. If you just want to do it using sub-folders, then it's all configured in the web proxy he's describing.

Those virtual hosts would also only work while you are within your own network.
Oh!

Because what I am trying to do is the following:
I own a .com domain. I have this pointed to my asuscomm.com domain. This works good. But as I said earlier I have to go to mydomain.com:8081 and other portnumbers to access my services. I am trying to create subdomains to access these services, like transmission.mydomain.com instead of 8081.
My domain host doesn't support pointing to port-numbers with CNAME so I have to find a way to make the services from port-numbers to /transmission names.

Hope you understand?
I'm not that into this.

I have an Asus AC 68U router with latest stable Merlin, installed yesterday.

My domain host doesn't support pointing to port-numbers with CNAM

The DNS system does not work with ports, only with hostnames and IPs. It's not lack of support from your host, it's just not something handled by the DNS system at all.

I have to find a way to make the services from port-numbers to /transmission names.

If only the end of the URL changes, then this would have to be done by configuring a web proxy that will handle redirecting to the appropriate service based on the URL. No dnsmasq configuration change would be required.

The DNS system does not work with ports, only with hostnames and IPs. It's not lack of support from your host, it's just not something handled by the DNS system at all.

If only the end of the URL changes, then this would have to be done by configuring a web proxy that will handle redirecting to the appropriate service based on the URL. No dnsmasq configuration change would be required.
Okey, yes, only the end of the URL changes, to :8081 and when you go further it will be like :8081/home/etc...

Is this web proxy something you can set in the router, and how do you do that?

Okey, yes, only the end of the URL changes, to :8081 and when you go further it will be like :8081/home/etc...

Is this web proxy something you can set in the router, and how do you do that?

You will have to install additional software to do so. It's not possible using what's part of the firmware.

You will have to install additional software to do so. It's not possible using what's part of the firmware.

Care to explain further? Or is this to advanced for me? Would love to solve this though.

Thank you for your help this far.

Care to explain further? Or is this to advanced for me? Would love to solve this though.

Thank you for your help this far.

No idea, I've never done such a configuration before.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!