What's new

Do consumer routers break after extended use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rmiller1959

Regular Contributor
I have a pretty extensive home network - Motorola SB6120 cable modem, Netgear WND3700R router, SMC 16-port gigabit switch on one floor, D-Link 8 port gigabit swicth on the other. I have two computers connected wirelessly, two laptops and a netbook connected either wirelessly or wired depending on where they sit, two connected by gigabit Ethernet, two network printers, a Windows Home Server, and a D-Link NAS.

I've used various consumer routers over the years, and they always seem to work fabulously in the beginning, but then they deteriorate over time. My Netgear router has been working like a champ for most of the year I've owned it. Now, over the past month, it's dropping my Internet connection several times a day, requiring me to reboot the router. I've reset it to the factory defaults once already. The error message i get is "The DNS Server cannot be located" or words to that effect.

If I can't resolve this problem ASAP, I may be in the market for a new router, but I'm reluctant to go with yet another consumer model. I work from home, my wife teaches and does significant work at home, and my daughter is taking college courses online. I need something rock solid and as full-featured as possible. Thoughts?

You might consider a low end/entry level enterprise class router. To save cost, you could look at wired routers and just use a low cost consumer wireless access point since the router is what is doing the heavy lifting in terms of dealing with the modem WAN and the LAN side DHCP server, etc.

I have a Linksys RV042 as my main router; it's reviewed on this site here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...sys-rv042-review-solid-dual-wan-vpn-performer. It's basically an entry level enterprise class router with dual WAN ports and four 100Mbs LAN ports with VPN support. I got it mainly because I needed the dual WAN capability at the time and this model was the cheapest I could find that had that feature. It seems to be fairly well received in the Newegg user reviews.

I have it wired to two PC's - one notebook and one desktop - and to a Netgear dual band access point, a WNDAP350, which is also enterprise class (and didn't get a good review on here, BTW) but that was just what I wanted; you could use any wireless AP that meets your needs. Using the wireless link, two additional computers (laptops) are serviced as well as five networked printers and my Roku box.The printers run on 2.4GHz G mode while the Roku and the two laptops run N mode usually on 5GHz but, when necessary due to path loss/range issues, can switch to 2.4GHz N mode. Everybody seems to be happy and extremely stable, at least in my case.

If you don't need and/or want the dual WAN and VPN functionality, there are other choices, of course; plus you might want Gigabit LAN which the little RV042 doesn't do. Just search for low end enterprise class wired routers and see what you come up with. If I were constrained to put the most money on only one component I think it would be the router as that is, I think, where often the most potential long term network stability issues arise.

Just from my experience, with an engineering background, I have generally found that enterprise class/industrial/professional grade equipment seems more stable and better built for long term use than consumer grade equipment though consumer grade equipment can sometimes have better performance in some areas in the short term (think business level choosing long term "robustness" over the latest and greatest bleeding edge features, etc.).

In fact, come to think of it, if you go this route, you could just keep your 3700 router and convert it to usage as purely an AP and save the cost of getting one once you get a good wired router! This is easy to do and is outlined in articles on this site. It's very possible that, if your 3700 really is starting to get funky-headed it might just be in the routing functionality while the wireless side is still fine so converting it to an AP and just not using the router functionality might work out - if your strapped for cash it might be worth a try?!

-Mike

Last edited:
Consumer routers generally don't have good thermal design. So first make sure your router isn't in a warm spot (stacked on hot equipment or in a cabinet/closet). You might try aiming a small fan at it to see if that helps stability.

Also think about whether you have been pushing the router harder. More data flow means more heat, which generally leads to flaky operation.

I learned one thing early on in my networking career...battery backup units mean stability and longer life. In most of my setups, I try to put the broadband modem and router into a little APC battery UPS. You can even use a small model like the little es 350 or es 550.

I have hundreds of routers out there, granted most are more business grade models (because I'm an SMB consultant for a living)...but I still have many smaller clients and friends 'n family and such, and they have the typical Linksys/DLink/Netgear/Asus/Belkin/<insert brand of the week at worse buy>

Out of quite a few hundred...over these years, what do I notice? Units in battery UPS tend to last until you upgrade for some reason like need a more powerful faster router because this old befsr41 from 8 years ago it too slow now.

Consumer routers generally don't have good thermal design. So first make sure your router isn't in a warm spot (stacked on hot equipment or in a cabinet/closet). You might try aiming a small fan at it to see if that helps stability.

Also think about whether you have been pushing the router harder. More data flow means more heat, which generally leads to flaky operation.
I agree on that one - the designs seem to ignore the most basic things in how to dissipate heat efficiently. In fact, it's often designed so bad that one wonders if many of these manufacturers aren't do it on purpose so that users are forced back on the market to "upgrade".

Its worth spending a bit more to skip the junk and junk with "feature glitter". After an awful experience with Netgear junk, I've been using a Draytek wireless router for like 5 years with practically zero downtime. It cost more than the average router but in the end its cheaper than the 3-4-5 routers I would have bought since then. And that's before you count to gigantic value of time saved not having to trouble shoot a router that flakes out every day or week or whatever. These things arent that complicated - a good router should be able to run from months and years on end.

I learned one thing early on in my networking career...battery backup units mean stability and longer life. In most of my setups, I try to put the broadband modem and router into a little APC battery UPS. You can even use a small model like the little es 350 or es 550.
Amen to that, StoneCat! I have everything on UPSes and it has saved my butt (and data) countless times in addition to keeping surges, dropouts and other nasties away from my gear.

For a high end system... perhaps invest in a good wired router (no WiFi). Rely on it for security, QoS, etc.

Then use WiFi access points.

Instead of the all-in-one WiFi router sold to consumers.

Just an added note...regarding the thermal issue, yeah some of them will get hot, especially when pushed hard. I can't recall seeing a situation where one was locking up because it appeared to be too hot due to design. And I've worked with most of the brands/models out there over the years since the very first Linksys befsr41 routers rolled off the assembly lines with the very first buggy firmware.

What I have noticed, is sometimes walking into someones setup to work on it, poor placement, environment. How many times have I seen a router crammed into a bookshelf or nook in a desk, along with tons of papers/folders...basically smothering the thing so it cannot "breath".

More than once I've seen one placed on top of a giant subwoofer...with complaints of it locking up. Moved it away...and the lockups went away.

IMO, the power dissipation of a Consumer router is not influenced by the data volumes or transmit duty cycle.

All these consumer switches and routers have poor thermal design. Don't obstruct good air flow to their vent slots. Don't stack hot boxes.

I have owned a lot of such stuff. The only one that crapped out due to really bad thermal was a first-generation Linksys GigE switch. I think they slammed their logo on some junk from Asia and they regret it. Newer gigE switches have chipsets that run cooler. I have a cooler Netgear switch and now a $22 Fry's branded gigE switch that's running cool.

Great Responses!

This is great information - thank you! In fact, my router is at the very top of my network rack with at least six feet of empty space above it up to the ceiling. I've always been sure to place my cable modem and router in open, airy spaces.

Since I wrote my note, I've received a refurbished replacement router from Netgear, but it is exhibiting similar problems. When I am connected to the router, I experience several dropouts of my Internet connection, and there's no particular pattern or action that causes them.

I also noticed that my Internet speed is dramatically less when connected to the router. I've connected my PC directly to the cable modem for several hours at a time, and not only are there no dropouts, my Internet download speed is consistently between 50-60 mbps. When I put the router into the network path, those speeds drop to between 10-27 mbps.

My original router worked well for several months (from 10/09 to 8/10) but deteriorated rapidly after that, thus the genesis of my question. This is Netgear's best router; in fact, I purchased it based on the review I read here. I notified their support team that the replacement router was misbehaving, and I've been keeping a log of the outages to the point where they don't want me sending them any more data. They've escalated the problem to a senior engineer - I suspect he'll recommend another replacement.

The wired router with strategically placed wireless access points is looking better all the time!

UPS for router and cable modem

Oh, yes - everything in my network rack - cable modem, router, NAS, Windows Home Server - is connected to a UPS.

You might consider a low end/entry level enterprise class router. To save cost, you could look at wired routers and just use a low cost consumer wireless access point since the router is what is doing the heavy lifting in terms of dealing with the modem WAN and the LAN side DHCP server, etc.

I have a Linksys RV042 as my main router; it's reviewed on this site here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...sys-rv042-review-solid-dual-wan-vpn-performer. It's basically an entry level enterprise class router with dual WAN ports and four 100Mbs LAN ports with VPN support. I got it mainly because I needed the dual WAN capability at the time and this model was the cheapest I could find that had that feature. It seems to be fairly well received in the Newegg user reviews.

I have it wired to two PC's - one notebook and one desktop - and to a Netgear dual band access point, a WNDAP350, which is also enterprise class (and didn't get a good review on here, BTW) but that was just what I wanted; you could use any wireless AP that meets your needs. Using the wireless link, two additional computers (laptops) are serviced as well as five networked printers and my Roku box.The printers run on 2.4GHz G mode while the Roku and the two laptops run N mode usually on 5GHz but, when necessary due to path loss/range issues, can switch to 2.4GHz N mode. Everybody seems to be happy and extremely stable, at least in my case.

If you don't need and/or want the dual WAN and VPN functionality, there are other choices, of course; plus you might want Gigabit LAN which the little RV042 doesn't do. Just search for low end enterprise class wired routers and see what you come up with. If I were constrained to put the most money on only one component I think it would be the router as that is, I think, where often the most potential long term network stability issues arise.

Just from my experience, with an engineering background, I have generally found that enterprise class/industrial/professional grade equipment seems more stable and better built for long term use than consumer grade equipment though consumer grade equipment can sometimes have better performance in some areas in the short term (think business level choosing long term "robustness" over the latest and greatest bleeding edge features, etc.).

In fact, come to think of it, if you go this route, you could just keep your 3700 router and convert it to usage as purely an AP and save the cost of getting one once you get a good wired router! This is easy to do and is outlined in articles on this site. It's very possible that, if your 3700 really is starting to get funky-headed it might just be in the routing functionality while the wireless side is still fine so converting it to an AP and just not using the router functionality might work out - if your strapped for cash it might be worth a try?!

-Mike

Excellent advice! Thanks!

I've had my router for 3 years and it'sd still going strong, the best news is I got it free with my dsl provider. I think that the signal could be better when I go outdoors with my computer, however I can't really complain.

Oh and it's powered non-stop.

Theren's no reason for it to stop working routers are designed to go on forever and ever.

Draytek is the way to go

Hi there,

I saw an earlier thread mentioning Draytek. I've been using 3 Draytek routers Vigor 2910g for over 5 years now and it still works A-1. They have been running about 5 VPN connexions permanantly with almost no down-time. They truly are simple to use, reliable and performant. My IT company has sold about 30 Draytek routers in the past years (Vigor 2910g, 2920, 2950g, 2110n, 2130n and VigorFly 200) and so far, I've had no come backs and no RMA. They come with 2 years warranty and offer a ton of features.

I've had bad luck with 'cheaper' Cisco RV042 models that just seem to work for about 3-6 months and after become unstable...

Within 2 weeks, I will have my website ready with an online store to buy Draytek products. www.reseaux-lution.com

If you have any questions about Draytek, feel free to ask me! I'll be glad to help you.

Right now I have an old Linksys WRT54G-TM running with Tomato version 1.23 firmware that's getting close to 500 days of uptime without a reboot. The loading is moderate and it's wireless is shut off but it's been very reliable. I'm running it off of a UPS too.

Yes wireless is shut off. For some reason the wireless on this box(E Bay purchase) had always been somewhat flaky but everything else seemed to work fine. In this situation the wireless AP is mounted outdoors in a weather proof enclosure. Do you think that having it working wired only makes it more stable/reliable? It is after all a piece of equipment that's both old and cheap.

Yes wireless is shut off. For some reason the wireless on this box(E Bay purchase) had always been somewhat flaky but everything else seemed to work fine. In this situation the wireless AP is mounted outdoors in a weather proof enclosure. Do you think that having it working wired only makes it more stable/reliable? It is after all a piece of equipment that's both old and cheap.
Yes. I'm a proponent of using a good, high security wired-only router, and separate WiFi APs. That's what enterprise networks do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!