What's new

Do I need to keep my pseudo-bridged Technicolor XB7 (2nd Gen) away from my RT-AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kritiker

Occasional Visitor
Question: Do I need to keep my pseudo-bridged Technicolor XB7 (2nd Gen) gateway (modem/router) away from my RT-AX88U? The answer's "yes" isn't it?

In @OzarkEdge 's excellent post on his AIMesh setup, @OzarkEdge reinforces the need to keep other WiFi (and other interfering) devices away from our routers.

I had used a bridged Hitron gateway (modem/router combo) for some years now along with an RT-AC68U router, and an ancient RT-N66U (VPN client), all in the basement. (yes, I know).

Now to get better upload speeds (I moved from 300/16 to 500/100) I had to accept what I believe is a Shaw-rebranded Comcast Technicolor XB7 (2nd Gen) gateway (modem/router). I do not have the option of buying my own modem.

I had planned to move the bridged XB7 (no WiFi activity - just acting as a modem) and my new RT-AX88U to a more central location, an open shelf on the main floor, near each other (within 3 ft) and keep the RT-AC68U in the basement, possibly meshing them together. That was assuming that bridging would disable all WiFi activity on the XB7.

Then I discovered that I could not fully bridge the XB7, that there were 5 (that I found, some report 6) of its (hidden) SSIDs (supposedly to control wireless TV boxes which I do not have) still active. So far, all efforts to disable them have failed. Some people have suggested
  • putting a Faraday cage around the XB7 (screen? holes need to be smaller than about 3mm) but then heat build up may be a problem even with holes. Someone else suggested an unused microwave oven (heat again) might work as a Faraday cage.
  • opening the XB7 and disconnecting the antennas
Neither option appeals to me, for reason which I suspect are self-evident.

I have also "heard" that if the active SSIDs are not generating a lot of traffic, then they aren't much of a problem. I'd like that to be true but I don't believe it.

I am still waiting to hear back from Shaw about whether or not they can do some hard bridging from their end or provide just a modem but I don't really expect any help there.

So, as far as I can tell, I will have to leave the XB7 in the basement, far away from my routers and especially away from my RT-AX88U on the main floor.
And yes, now that I've gotten this far in the post I suppose it is a no-brainer and I shouldn't be bothering to ask. But, maybe someone has something creative to share? Maybe, how far away is far enough? Does the inverse square law help here at all?

I can wire that all in, coax, then Cat 5e/6 all the way. That's not the problem. This just isn't going to be the way I had planned to place my components.

Last edited:
In short, it would be prudent to minimize any WiFi interference/EMI... remove it or change it to not interfere.

OE