What's new

Do you feel Asus has abandoned support for the AC66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apparently NOT, buddy, cause here I am FOUR YEARS LATER with a six-month old AC66U sitting on my desk that WON'T run in 5Ghz.

And on top of that, (see my other post), the 5Ghz WAS working two weeks ago (when I didn't need it) but when I went into the setup page to get my 5gig working, I saw a "firmware update" notification.....so I made the fatal mistake of downloading and installing it.
Now, not only do I not have 5Ghz capability, I can no longer "see" my Apple Airport Express in order to run iTunes music wirelessly off my Macbook to my stereo. BUMMER.

have you ever tried the merlin version?

have you ever tried the merlin version?
I haven't......but the more that name crops up in this forum, the more tempted I am to give it a whirl.

Source? Version? Any help/tips/tricks greatly appreciated. (Right now, all the 'friendly' folks at Asus can suggest is downgrading the firmware to the previous iteration. Doesn't sound like progress!)

I haven't......but the more that name crops up in this forum, the more tempted I am to give it a whirl.

Source? Version? Any help/tips/tricks greatly appreciated. (Right now, all the 'friendly' folks at Asus can suggest is downgrading the firmware to the previous iteration. Doesn't sound like progress!)

Please let us know how this firmware works for you. There is Johns 374 LTS fork and Merlins newer 380 and curious about these firmware's myself.

.... a six-month old AC66U sitting on my desk that WON'T run in 5Ghz.

Running 3 RT-AC66U's here - no problem with 5GHz.

Two are still running Merlin 378.56_2 since I haven't got round to updating to a later version. One is already on Merlin 380.67

There is a very vigourous Merlin user community here, so any problems with new builds are found (and fixed) quite quickly.

If you have problems with your RT-AC66U running stock firmware, I would highly recommend installing the Merlin firmware instead. But you need to do it right, in particular perform the right type of reset after updating. There is a different procedure and the 30/30/30 used for some other routers does not apply. There are lots of instructions on the forum.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!