What's new

Do you guys solder?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was really good at soldering half a century ago. Not really needed today (from a cost/benefit analysis), not to mention too-shakey hands.

I solder my mice switches sometimes. I really hate it. Do you guys solder?
Yes quite a bit actually, i just soldered a new NTC Glass Sealed Thermistor into my 3D printer heated bed a few minutes ago:)
i also have a large collection on Rc cars,drones,heli , that i keep updating its electrics parts.

Yes quite a bit actually, i just soldered a new NTC Glass Sealed Thermistor into my 3D printer heated bed a few minutes ago:)
i also have a large collection on Rc cars,drones,heli , that i keep updating its electrics parts.

I can only solder my mice. Because I really hate original switches which come with mice. I replace switches every time I open a new box.
My soldering skill is horrible. Sometimes I kill some brand new mice.:mad:

I was really good at soldering half a century ago. Not really needed today (from a cost/benefit analysis), not to mention too-shakey hands.
My soldering skill is never improved. I kill some mice sometimes...

My soldering skill is horrible.

You need not only skills, but proper equipment, materials and supplies. I use soldering station (hot air + soldering iron), different melt point solder, solder paste, stencils, different flux, few types of copper wick, very often work is done under microscope with image on a monitor. There is also different cleaning tips, alcohol, thermal masking tape, UV mask. I have ultrasonic cleaner too. What is going to be used depends on the job. It's a hobby for me.

You need not only skills, but proper equipment, materials and supplies. I use soldering station (hot air + soldering iron), different melt point solder, solder paste, stencils, different flux, few types of copper wick, very often work is done under microscope with image on a monitor. There is also different cleaning tips, alcohol, thermal masking tape, UV mask. I have ultrasonic cleaner too. What is going to be used depends on the job. It's a hobby for me.
SO TRUE! When I started biggest challenge was not burning your arm on a vacuum tube and my solder "gun" could also do eaves-trough seams !!
Now my solder "station" has a microprocessor and its own vacuum but the latest thing is low melt de-soldering solder ...

Yep, "de-soldering with solder" seems odd but lower temp saves the traces and components from extended high heat damage while you get the other pins & nasty adhesive loose.
Would have saved a few germanium transistors back in the day, alligator clips weren't the best heat-sinks!
I didn't mention the old pump action solder-suckers that occasionally kicked back, were go-to device for old single sided boards, saved a lot of solder wick.
But NOT safe on modern crowded PCBs especially near fragile SMDs with no component leads to absorb the shock of a slipped grip.
Yep, miniaturization definitely sped up the aging vision process from magnifiers to manipulating a video microscope while both hands busy.
Nope, not done learning yet but I can see what is coming next. Just like the surgeons and scientists we'll be manipulating microscopic tools remotely.
But sadly only on the most valuable of devices. Our continuous journey towards a disposable world does make me sad for all those wonderous auto changing record players and cassette decks.

I only use a Soldering iron and a Desoldering pump. That's why I take apart PCB or disconnect a copper wire sometimes.:eek: I curse the mice every time I fail them. Also I curse Logitech, ASUS, Razer, and more. A funny thing is we can replace ASUS mice switches without desoldering and soldering except side switches. Side switches can't be repaired with normal soldering iron and tools...:mad: Go to hell ASUS.

Heli heli heli heli heli. I love them! I had RC cars. I still use Drones. But I've never had any Heli! I love HELI! That's so cool. You have a lot of nice items!o_O

I curse the mice every time I fail them.

Why don't you simply buy mice with the button feel you like? I use mostly Logitech, they have all kind of mice and rats available.

Why don't you simply buy mice with the button feel you like? I use mostly Logitech, they have all kind of mice and rats available.
All of Logitech mice use OMRON(made in China) switches which have low quality, cheap price, low durability. All of them have double click issue. Also it feels not good. That's why a lot of users change the switch like me.
OMRON(made in China): Cheap trash switch. This makes double click issue a lot.
Best switches: OMRON (made in Japan), Huano, TCC something like that.

Last edited:
All of Logitech mice use OMRON(made in China) switches which have low quality, cheap price, low durability.

I have many PCs with Logitech MK360 sets. No issues reported from the users.

Probably. They are users, not abusers. You may need to find more durable model for your specific needs.

Probably. They are users, not abusers. You may need to find more durable model for your specific needs.
It doesn't exist. I have some Razer and ASUS which use Optical Switches. It's durable but feels so bad...I have a lot of mice though.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!