What's new

Does AI Mesh with an ethernet backhaul via a Powerline adaptor between the two Asus routers actually work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
Does AI Mesh with an ethernet backhaul via a Powerline adaptor between the two Asus routers actually work?

Asus thinks it can:

1612451310201.png

But you must prove it... they list it as not great and just above Disconnected.

OE

Last edited:
Just found this
DSL-AC68U/R support both AiMesh primary/node modes now. However, for node only Wireless backhaul mode supported, do not support Ethernet backhaul(as this model lacks dedicated Ethernet WAN port).
Does that mean that I can still use the DSL-AC68U as an AI mesh primary with an RT-AC68U node?

Thanks. Where is that screen grab from?

My Asus RT-AC86U with 9.0.0.4.386.41994 AiMesh 2.0 RC2-11 beta firmware.

OE

Just found this

Does that mean that I can still use the DSL-AC68U as an AI mesh primary with an RT-AC68U node?

It means the DSL-AC68U can be used as an AiMesh router or AiMesh remote node. If you use it as an AiMesh remote node, it can only be wireless because it does not have a WAN port for a wired uplink/backhaul.

OE

Yes - mine main and 3 nodes connected via TP-Link powerline:

View attachment 30744
Interesting, so ASUS doesn't detect the power line adapters from TP-Link... @OzarkEdge , In other words the icons in the router interface reference an unreleased product, not whether it is or isn't compatible with power line adapters.

Interesting, so ASUS doesn't detect the power line adapters from TP-Link... @OzarkEdge , In other words the icons in the router interface reference an unreleased product, not whether it is or isn't compatible with power line adapters.

What unreleased product are you referring to?

OE

What unreleased product are you referring to?

OE
To potential ASUS-branded Powerline adapters or routers that are AiMesh compatible.

To potential ASUS-branded Powerline adapters or routers that are AiMesh compatible.

How would a Powerline adapter be more AiMesh compatible than an Ethernet cable?

OE

How would a Powerline adapter be more AiMesh compatible than an Ethernet cable?

OE
As in, show up in the AiMesh interface on the router interface... this isn't the first time I bring it up...

As in, show up in the AiMesh interface on the router interface... this isn't the first time I bring it up...

What's your point?... Asus has unreleased Powerline product that is AiMesh compatible?... because there is a network icon for a generic Powerline link in the router GUI?

OE

What's your point?... Asus has unreleased Powerline product that is AiMesh compatible?... because there is a network icon for a generic Powerline link in the router GUI?

OE
Almost. Asus MIGHT have unreleased Powerline product that is AiMesh compatible, since the GUI didn't have that before.. I never said they did.

Almost. Asus MIGHT have unreleased Powerline product that is AiMesh compatible, since the GUI didn't have that before.. I never said they did.

I think you are reading too much into the router GUI.

OE

I think you are reading too much into the router GUI.

OE
Feel free to disagree. I'm just surprised that you either didn't understand what I was saying a few weeks ago.

Feel free to disagree. I'm just surprised that you either didn't understand what I was saying a few weeks ago.

My understanding hasn't changed... you're still reading too much into the router GUI.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!