What's new

Does AiProtection really work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I currently have Suricata, IDS installed onto my router, it’s working pretty good.

In my opinion AiProtection (TrendMicro) works, but keep in mind it's consumer-grade protection, not something you'd use at the enterprise level (such as FortiGuard, for example, which will run you at least $200 annually for a subscription). Because I use port forwarding (for a small webserver, SSH server, and a couple of others), AiProtection sees knocks on the door on a daily basis...bots, scripts, the occasional brute force login attempt. If you keep your TCP/UDP ports closed off, you probably won't see much if any activity within IPS. The malicious sites blocking works well also. It seems to keep the kids (and on occasion, the wife) from accessing known malicious websites. The infected device prevention/blocking...if your anti-virus, DNS blocking, and IPS are all doing their jobs, that number should ideally always remain at 0.

YMMV as far as activity you'll see based on your ISP, endpoint/device security at home, and whether or not you open any TCP/UDP ports.

ips1.png
ips2.png

Mine is doing nothing. I am not happy with this product running on my RT-AX54HP

My local antivirus, firewalls and browser protection adds are doing all the work. At the theats are coming to my local devices and are not being stopped at the router hardware level before they reach my device. It does nothing.

My local software and protections are doing all the work. The device protection is allowing it all come into my work. It says its working and active. But no alters, blocks or protections. It does nothing.

Not happy with this product at all. Even when I go to know badboy sites running malware and bad scripts. It blocked nothing. Once more. My local protection software is doing all the work.

Ive updated bios, firmware, ect ect, Nothing. Basically its pointless.

Mine si doing nothing. It wont catch anything. Only my local software is doing all the work. The point if me getting a roter with the AIprotection was to stop crap before it reaches my local network devices. However, the AIprotection on my router while aactive wont stop anything. Only my local machine protection will grab it

Mine si doing nothing. It wont catch anything. Only my local software is doing all the work. The point if me getting a roter with the AIprotection was to stop crap before it reaches my local network devices. However, the AIprotection on my router while aactive wont stop anything. Only my local machine protection will grab it

AI Protect won’t stop viruses. Only if the site is added to Trend Micro’s blacklist.

I think you’re misunderstanding how it works

AiProtection is NOT an antivirus application :

>>> AiProtection <<<

>>> AiProtection and how it works <<<

Last edited:
It does well on stopping scripts embedded into web pages and ads.

After switching to Quad9 DNS i didn't have any hits for many months. So I turned AiProtection off.

After switching to Quad9 DNS i didn't have any hits for many months. So I turned AiProtection off.

I notice less but not zero AiProtection logging when using Quad9 DoT and now CloudFlare DoT with security filtering. I'll keep using layers of protection.

OE

I think Ublock origin does more than both of those anyway. I guess to many layers of protection just screw up traffic latency.

I think Ublock origin does more than both of those anyway. I guess to many layers of protection just screw up traffic latency.

Are you running uBlock Origin on ALL of your network clients?

OE

By all I mean gadgets and computers. Obviously not a TV, Sonos speakers.

Obviously... a browser extension does not police all network clients/activity. I'd keep AiProtection enabled unless I have some good reason not to use it, which I don't.

OE

Use both. More layers is better.

If use Pihole to block ads and malicious websites. Do I need AiProtection enabled or is Pihole enough?
Pi-Hole should be treated as, just one layer, in a multi layered defense of your local network. Pi-Hole is a "DNS sinkhole". It may not catch other forms of network intrusion, malware, viruses, etc. which is why you should be using additional forms of network protection. Review the features of AiProtection, along with the fact that TrendMicro is collecting data while you use AiProtection, and decide for yourself if using it is warranted or if there are other methods of network protection that would accomplish the same as AiProtection. Some choose to use AiProtection, some don't and each has their reasons for doing so.

At the very least you should have strong WiFi passwords, not have unsecured WiFi networks, use local computer based security (firewall, antivirus, anti-malware, etc.) along with web browser based extensions (uBlock Origin or similar) running in addition to Pi-Hole (or Diversion, or similar network wide methods) and AiProtection if you decide to use that feature of the Asus router. Layer defense is the way to go.

I read the privacy guidelines from both Asus and TrendMicro.. not a fan. The type of personal data they say they will collect does not merit using their service. I think I'll pass.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!