What's new

Does Arris MEB1100 MoCA adapter have a firmware update?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulTopping

New Around Here
I'm using an Arris MEB1100 MoCA adapter to bridge between my Frontier fiber ONT and my Google Nest wifi network. Mostly it's working great but twice since I installed it I've lost internet access for no apparent reason. Both times I was able to restore it by cycling power on the Arris device. That leads me to think that it might have a software glitch that can be resolved by a firmware upgrade. I know it is a simple device and might not even have firmware. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Duplicating the reply to your reddit thread:

Presuming that the USB cable, itself, isn't damaged, what is the power source that you're using for the MEB1100? Per the MEB1100 that I have on-hand, its power requirements are "5V 900mA" ... so a 5V 1A USB power adapter should work. I'd recommend trying a few different adapters, given the issues you're seeing.

Re: firmware version ... no clue what it's actually running because I'm not aware of it having a web UI that would provide this info, nor am I aware of firmware update options. That said, the unit I have lists "1.01" as its "HW Version."

Someone else suggested trying a different power supply. Easy enough so I'll try it tomorrow. My experience with power supplies is that they either work or they don't, as long as they produce the right voltage and have enough amperage. I checked the label on the one I'm using but I have plenty of others. The USB cable is brand new. I couldn't find a male USB-A to male USB-A one in my box of many cables. The Ebay vendor claimed it was 1.01 but I have no way to verify. Thanks for the help.

The Ebay vendor claimed it was 1.01
They would have read this off the label on the underside of the unit, same as I did.

IMG_1142.jpeg

Mine has the same label. I have found that the power unit I was using was not rated at 900mA as required. I know I checked but I must have accidentally picked up the wrong one from my pile of old chargers. I've now hooked up one rated at 1A so we'll see if that makes a difference. It's held up so far but it's only been 30 minutes. ;)

I made a mistake and picked up an underpowered charger I had laying around. Once I replaced that with a 1A charger, the unit has worked flawlessly for a week or so now.

I made a mistake and picked up an underpowered charger I had laying around. Once I replaced that with a 1A charger, the unit has worked flawlessly for a week or so now.
Excellent. Thanks for the followup/closure. (Was just recommending a MEB1100 in another thread, so wanted to make sure the instability issue was locked-down as being due to the underpowered adapter.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!