What's new

Does ASUS RT-AX88U have support for VLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

?
I would like to know too, but your link returns
Oops! We ran into some problems.
And a search results in… not an answer to OP’s specific question.

That used to work for me too, but my relationship with Google isn’t what it used to be 😂 I’ll clear my cookies, or use a VPN and retry. If that still doesn’t produce decent results I will give Bing with Chat a go.

The stock Asus firmware for VLAN's is apparently still beta and only a few models (not the RT-AX88U) are supported. Per the following Asus support link on the following routers support VLAN:

GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12

[Wireless Router] What is VLAN and how to setup?

Otherwise one can search through the Asus-Merlin subforum to see several discussions on trying to use VLAN on Asus-Merlin firmware. For example one recent one from yesterday and others that are recent.
Yet another question about VLANs (any HowTo recommended?)
Has anyone successfully create a VLAN?
AC86U VLAN Tagging with MerlinWRT
VLAN (IPTV) setting not working for GT AX11000 Pro ?
Backporting Vlan GUi
AC86 VLAN issue
VLAN Setup for IoT Devices
Home Assistant in VirtualBox VLAN setup

Thank you. I'll go and read those threads, hopefully something useful turns up.
Our fibre optic will be live soon and the provider writes that in order to connect ones own "router has to make DHCP-requests at VLAN 34 (802.1q)" and the "default route has to go over VLAN 34" and then there's the SIP stuff. Or... I could go double NAT and use the prodiver's equipment (and pray it can be put in bridge mode).

Thank you. I'll go and read those threads, hopefully something useful turns up.
Our fibre optic will be live soon and the provider writes that in order to connect ones own "router has to make DHCP-requests at VLAN 34 (802.1q)" and the "default route has to go over VLAN 34" and then there's the SIP stuff. Or... I could go double NAT and use the prodiver's equipment (and pray it can be put in bridge mode).

That type of vlan is supported, thought you meant for segmenting LAN devices. It is under IPTV on the LAN settings (which is misleading as it is mostly for WAN). Can take some fiddling to get it right, unless your ISP profile is already in there. You'll put 34 under "internet" and whatever the STB VLAN is under that field.

That type of vlan is supported, thought you meant for segmenting LAN devices. It is under IPTV on the LAN settings (which is misleading as it is mostly for WAN). Can take some fiddling to get it right, unless your ISP profile is already in there. You'll put 34 under "internet" and whatever the STB VLAN is under that field.
Iike this?
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 15.09.08.png

And then I put the fibre cable in LAN port 4?

No. Into the WAN port as normal for internet. LAN port 4 would be for an IPTV device.

Iike this?
View attachment 50491

LAN port 3 and/or 4 will need the VLAN ID for your set top boxes. The priority setting may work with them all at 0, it may not, this is where you have to find if someone has shared the settings for your ISP somewhere or not. The multicast settings below may also require some trial and error unless you can find someone that has figured it out for your ISP. Is your ISP not listed in the profile dropdown?

Note I assume when you say the fiber cable you mean the RJ45 coming from the ISP's Fiber ONT box. Obviously this router does not have fiber ports. If their handoff is fiber then you need to get a media converter and hope you can get it to work that way, but in that case you're better off using their modem/router, either in bridge mode or in router mode with your router behind it.

Honestly many have given up on trying to get it working right without the ISP device and just leave it in router mode, plug their STBs into that directly, then the asus router connects to it in a double NAT setup. If you don't need any of the "extra" features of the Asus you can even just use it as an access point with the ISP handling all the routing.

search threads for IPTV , then SIP configuration. Maybe search within results with "AX88U"

There is nothing SIP (Voip) specific on these routers, that just uses unicast internet typically. I'm assuming it was just a typo for STB. If the ISP is providing phone service it will either usually have a phone port right in their router (in which case, you need to use their router, or find a SIP to POTS box and get all the settings from them, which is unlikely), or they'll give you a separate phone box with network and phone ports and that can just plug in to port 1 or 2 on the Asus and use standard internet.

Honestly the path of least resistance/problems with these ISPs that are using VLANs, multicast, possibly SIP, etc, is just use their device in router mode, connect STBs directly to that, and use the asus as either an access point or second router (disabling wifi in the ISP router) for internet only.

Thank you @drinkingbird. Yes, you’re correct, the ISP provides a device (I haven’t received it yet, so I don’t know what make and model I get) that connects to the fiber cable and offers phone ports. My guess is that it will be a single device. They do offer a mediaconverter but then I don’t have telephone (that’s something I can live with, but I understand from their support desk it comes at an extra cost). From support desk I also understand that, because of the SIP stuff, bridge mode is not possible (though DMZ could be). After reading your reply and their answers I think you’re right that the path of least resistance is the road to travel.

Thank you all for your help.

Honestly the path of least resistance/problems with these ISPs that are using VLANs, multicast, possibly SIP, etc, is just use their device in router mode, connect STBs directly to that, and use the asus as either an access point or second router (disabling wifi in the ISP router) for internet only.

I would set it up this way as well. If something doesn't work with the ISP equipment - their problem to fix. If it's replaced and something doesn't work as a result - user problem to fix. The ISP won't provide any support for 3rd party equipment. My own ISP device is in modem/router mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!