What's new

Does asuscomm.com DDNS work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woland

Occasional Visitor
Looks like it does not response to dns requests. Am i right or somehting wrong with my env?

No its not only you. I am also not able to connect. Just wondering how often does it go down? Just started using it and if this happens alot I am going to switch back to dyndns.org

For me this is a first time problem for last year. Hope they will fix it quickly.

Last edited:
Just checked too, could not log in via hostname. Jumped into settings in ddns at clicked apply then it said Successful then I was able to log in. Maybe I'll go back to Dynsdns too.

Works for me...

Resolution working fine for me all day today. Have not tried to update as my IP has not changed, so cannot speak to update functions.

I've been using it for about 9 months now and I've never had any outages. My ip's not static, but I usually keep the same one for months. I also don't use my asuscomm address very often. So it's possible I just never noticed.

What DNS server are you using?

Try resolving it by using a different server:

Code:
nslookup blah.asuscomm.net 4.2.2.2

I'm not sure I understand this correctly.
When I use the subdomain I signed up for with the nslookup command it points to the router:

Server: www.asusnetwork.net
Address: 192.168.1.1

I guess that's correct?

I'm not sure I understand this correctly.
When I use the subdomain I signed up for with the nslookup command it points to the router:

Server: www.asusnetwork.net
Address: 192.168.1.1

I guess that's correct?

That's because by default your DNS requests are sent to the router, and then the router forwards them to your ISP's DNS server.

Try the command I gave you (entering the correct DDNS hostname), and compare it with a plain nslookup blah.asuscomm.net. That will tell you if the problem is with your ISP's DNS servers or something else.

In any case, I doubt the problem is with Asus, since there are plenty of people using their DDNS service without any problem. A multi-week outage would be well publicized.

It returns "non-existent domain" in both cases. I can't even access it over my phone's 3G connection which should be completely independent from my internet provider.
Is there any way to fix this? I can't even reach asuscomm.com itself at all.

It returns "non-existent domain" in both cases. I can't even access it over my phone's 3G connection which should be completely independent from my internet provider.
Is there any way to fix this? I can't even reach asuscomm.com itself at all.

If even the 4.2.2.2 DNS returns non-existent, then it means you aren't properly registering your host with their server. Double check your settings on the DDNS page, and ensure your router is fronting the Internet, and not behind another router.

Ok, I think I know what happened. Apparently I forgot to enable the DDNS again after updating to that bigger NVRAM firmware some time ago. Embarrassing. :(
But: It still won't work. I already signed up for that DDNS thing almost a year ago and therefore I know all the necessary information. Yet, when I try to activate it, it says that the server isn't responding. Is asuscomm.com really working for you?

Edit: Well, I give up with logic. Suddenly it said it was successful and now it works. But I have to admit I don't fully understand the way this works behind the scenes. ;)

Last edited:
6bff078878e12abca0afd7b2ae987ab8.png

the same with me... :(

I think it's been down over the weekend. I noticed it Saturday morning when I couldn't view my security cameras from bed, via my IPhone. Then when I couldn't get to my FTP server, I started troubleshooting. Confirmed when I could get to everything via external IP address just fine.

It's Sunday night and I just realized it's back on-line. On your router, you may have to go to the DDNS tab and hit "Apply" again, and your error "should" clear. It worked for me... Must have been an outage over the weekend. Who knows? Maybe maintenance or something... I noticed that ASUS support forums were down as well.

Sorry, the asuscomm.com DDNS service alone is still working fine. But it doesn't work anymore if I activate the VPN server configured in my router. I posted this problem in an other thread.

Question about the DDNS refresh function in the WEB UI (WAN -> DDNS)

I've set Forced refresh interval (in days) at 1 day.

Today (routers uptime now is >2 days) I've check'd the syslog but can't find any new ddns update entry. Last one was just right after the last reboot 2 days before ...

Maybe I should try a nvram reset first? Can't say for sure if I did that after the last FW update from 3.0.0.4_374.42_0 to 3.0.0.4_376.44_0, but except that issue I'm having no trouble with my RT-N66U yet.

Problem is, that I very sporadically get a new IP from my ISP when lease time is over (90 minutes) and I don't know, if the Router then will automatically connect myhost.asuscomm.com for updating my IP there, or if I'm beeing depending on this FW function for doing that cyclic ddns refresh, but if so, 1 day already could be too long and maybe I have to set a cronjob doing that every 1 hr for example - but I don't know the command to run such an update service ...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!