What's new

Does ASUSWRT-Merlin's XT12 firmware support ET12?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The future Zenwifi requires me to have a hub plugged in before serving the WAN for internet. ASUS needs to fix this how to file a bug ?
Requires what?
A Hub and a Switch are two very different animals.

A Hub, also known as a repeater, offers Layer-1 transmission only.
A Switch offers Layer-2 or Layer-3 switching - which is best described intelligent packet forwarding.

Just because you can plug an ethernet cable into either, and they are both generally the same shape (a box), does not mean you can use the terms interchangeably.

At no point in the article you referenced is Hub mentioned...

i would chime in aswell, really missing the advanced qos options from merlin in the et12

What advanced QoS options? FlexQoS may or may not work on this device and Cake is up to 350-400Mbps WAN-LAN.

You may have to get Asuswrt-Merlin supported router then. I would choose something less expensive and more usable like RT-AX86U (Pro).

A Hub and a Switch are two very different animals.

A Hub, also known as a repeater, offers Layer-1 transmission only.
A Switch offers Layer-2 or Layer-3 switching - which is best described intelligent packet forwarding.

Just because you can plug an ethernet cable into either, and they are both generally the same shape (a box), does not mean you can use the terms interchangeably.

At no point in the article you referenced is Hub mentioned...
I will be honest I don’t got a clue on the diff, I am not really big into networks equipment

I am not really big into networks equipment

I can see that. ET12 has one mostly unusable today band. How many Wi-Fi 6E devices do you have? How many future Wi-Fi 6E devices do you expect to get with Wi-Fi 7 routers coming to the market by the end of the year? Wi-Fi 6E was never fully adopted intermediate step to Wi-Fi 7. In my opinion you did a mistake paying more for something with very limited use today and no future. This router doesn't have USB port. Even if Asuswrt-Merlin firmware was available for it - limited to custom scripts with no USB storage requirement.

+1 request for ET12 support. Just ordered one to extend the network in AiMesh setup from a GT-AXE16000 primary AP which has Merlin. Here's hoping the stock firmware can do enough for now.

If it hasn't happened yet, I wouldn't expect it to be in the future.

See the sticky in the RMerlin forum.

So it seems to be working. However, on the Merlin Primary Router's Wireless Log Page, it hangs trying to generate the page. Same with the Connections page. I assume that's because it's trying to access the data from the non-Merlin mesh node. Any way to fix that? The wireless log is a very useful feature.

I ended up returning the ET12. It constantly disconnects, resyncs and restarts wireless with 75% packet loss, as an AiMesh node. After debugging it for a week, no luck. Getting a second AXE-16000.

I ended up returning the ET12. It constantly disconnects, resyncs and restarts wireless with 75% packet loss, as an AiMesh node. After debugging it for a week, no luck. Getting a second AXE-16000.
Sounds like a defective unit.

Thanks a lot for your brilliant work, I'm still running RT-AC68U as router with Orbi Pro SXK80 Mesh System in AP Mode since Netgear FW is absolute garbage and they can't even do DHCP properly.

I was literally about to order ET12 yesterday because I noticed XT12 support and thought the FW will work on ET12 as well. Good thing I came here to check.

As many others, I do not care about USB and Entware, but I do care for DNS, TOR and loads of other details and fixes that come with Merlin. I hope you change your mind in the near future and decide to support ET12.

I know there is little hope but would love to see support for the ET12 in the future. It is rare to see an XT12 and even harder to find a used one. After retiring my RT-AC87u, I will miss the merlin firmware.

I've had a pair of ET-12 for over a year now. This may be my favorite router ever. Even with stock firmware it's been super stable, running Proton VPN fireguard through the VPN Fusion function on the router. The two units are connected via CAT6. 45 devices connected - mostly IoT on the guest network. I have nothing bad to say about this router.

I've had a pair of ET-12 for over a year now. This may be my favorite router ever. Even with stock firmware it's been super stable, running Proton VPN fireguard through the VPN Fusion function on the router. The two units are connected via CAT6. 45 devices connected - mostly IoT on the guest network. I have nothing bad to say about this router.
"WireGuard" not fireguard.

Hey silly question but can Entware be loaded and ran from a separate NAS since the ET12/XT12 don't have USB ports? And even sillier, since I can no longer return my ET12, what if I soldered my own USB port to the board?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!