What's new

Does ez-ipupdate work with Asus DDNS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diyguy

Regular Contributor
since the jerks at DynDNS have decided to pull the plug on their free service, I was looking to use the Asus's DDNS. What configuration do I need to enter in the conf file for ez-ipdate to work in conjunction with the service from Asus ? I've tried asus asuscomm but nothing seems to work.

with DynDNS I was using something like this

service-type=
user=
host=
interface=
notify-email=

Last edited:
"The Jerks"

since the jerks at DynDNS have decided to pull the plug on their free service, I was looking to use the Asus's DDNS. What configuration do I need to enter in the conf file for ez-ipdate to work in conjunction with the service from Asus ? I've tried asus asuscomm but nothing seems to work.

with DynDNS I was using something like this

service-type=
user=
host=
interface=
notify-email=

Asus DDNS only works with their modified client AFAIK, it's not supported by generic DDNS updaters.

For those who wonder how to refresh Asus DynDNS status from the command line it is how to do it:

Code:
ez-ipupdate -h your_name.asuscomm.com -s ns1.asuscomm.com -S dyndns -i eth0 -A 1 >& /dev/null

I put it into crontab as sometimes it does not update the IP after router start-up.

For those who wonder how to refresh Asus DynDNS status from the command line it is how to do it:

Code:
ez-ipupdate -h your_name.asuscomm.com -s ns1.asuscomm.com -S dyndns -i eth0 -A 1 >& /dev/null

I put it into crontab as sometimes it does not update the IP after router start-up.

thanks for this mrvain! How did you figure this out ?

I was looking to use the Asus's DDNS.
I considered that, but ended up using no-ip.com, and got a free xxxxx.no-ip.biz address. The RT-N66U updates it automatically, and I'll be able to use it if I switch to another brand of router.

Interesting! Do you know what the -A argument is for ? I am trying to see if I can create a conf file for this.
I think it is Asus-specific parameter. If you don't specify it it asks for DynDNS username and password.

I considered that, but ended up using no-ip.com, and got a free xxxxx.no-ip.biz address. The RT-N66U updates it automatically, and I'll be able to use it if I switch to another brand of router.
I don't like no-ip.com as their free service requires you to log in periodically to keep your account. You can also go for freedns.afraid.org, I put script for it in another thread: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=123651#post123651

I use two different DynDNS providers in case one does not update entries for some reason.

Code:

It is a fact it takes several hours to update the asuscomm dns with my ip when I reboot my RT-N66U.

Should we use "sleep" to wait for the router to get the IP from the modem before applying this command for this to work properly? Maybe the reason the asuscomm DNS service (or this script) sometimes (most of the times actually) doesn't work at router reboot is because it needs to wait for a WAN ip from the modem...

Last edited:
Well after working for a while today I am getting the error invalid IP format.

Any ideas?

/usr/sbin/ez-ipupdate -h myhost.asuscomm.com -s ns1.asuscomm.com -S dyndns -i eth0 -A 1
ez-ipupdate Version 3.0.11b5
Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Angus Mackay.
read_input ret: 1
read_input ret: 1
Invalid IP format.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!