What's new

Does Merlin support multiple OpenVPN connections as the client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Kolb

Occasional Visitor
Not asking if the router can be server to multiple external clients, am asking if the advanced OpenVPN client software added by Merlin can be used to connect to multiple external VPN servers. Currently I am using SecurePoint OpenVPN client on my Win10 desktop to keep 3 tunnels to our AD sites, and I would like to move these client connections to our servers, to the Asus Merlin router. Is there any doc on setting up one or more router side OpenVPN clients? Thanks!

You can configure up to five different clients, however they must connect to different networks, otherwise you will have routing conflicts due to the overlaps.

Is there any doc on setting up one or more router side OpenVPN clients? Thanks!
Hi Dave,

"Policy Rules" under the config item "Redirect Internet traffic" are your friend for this topic to route singe IP addresses to different VPNs! :rolleyes:

Or you use the user scripts functionality with this example to route one of the guest WLANs via one of the VPN client connections - as discussed here. You can use this guide as a kind of template to route your different networks to different VPNs... :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Had the same Problem using 3 Asus Routers - 2 as Servers 1 as Client, turns out I had to change one of the Servers to use a different subnet (the OpenVPN Server defaults to use 10.8.0.0 in the advanced settings).
I changed this to 10.9.0.0 in one of the two Server Routers and voila - worked perfectly :)

I've a question, maybe related to this. on the merlin interface, the tab "Open VPN client settings" the CLIENT CONTROL section, SELECT CLIENT INSTANCE... drop down arrow for FIVE instances. You can configure each one individually... say Private internat access lets you have California, and Montreal.

Say you configure Instance1 for Cali and Instance2 for Montreal.

I noticed I can set SERVICE STATE to ON for both I1 and I2.

At this point is the router using which one, I1 or I2? Using I1 by default is my guess, based on the IP I get when I go to PIA's website at the top bar.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!