1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Does OFDMA Really Work? Part 1

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, May 14, 2020.

1. Krisbi

Krisbi Occasional Visitor

Great, thank you!

2. mjc775

mjc775 Occasional Visitor

“Enable AX - This WiFi mode will enable AX features such as OFDMA”

This sure could be interpreted that support already exists. Since not, perhaps Netgear should add the word “upcoming“. I’d be curious exactly what the GUI says on their officially supported RAX products, and why the RAX80 appears to be the only one that doesn’t support it?

With the Enable AX box currently checked, in a 3-user home environment with 3 iPhone 11s and about 25 other n/ac devices, and moderate 2.4 GHz noise from neighboring networks - what am I really gaining at this point? Or is it possibly hindering performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

The same checkbox and description is used on all NETGEAR Wi-Fi 6 products. If OFDMA is supported, separate 2.4 and 5 GHz OFDMA checkboxes are shown.

No manufacturer of Wi-Fi 6 routers is accurately disclosing whether OFDMA is supported on its products. There are no disclaimers on spec sheets or boxes.

Well, what's your experience? What benefits do you see when enabling the AX checkbox?

4. thiggins

Pak Kriss, mjc775 and L&LD like this.
  5. mjc775

On my RAX80, the checkbox only appears above the 2.4 Ghz Basic Wireless settings, and again in Advanced Wireless settings.

It's enabled by default - so I will UNcheck the box, do some testing, and report back...

L&LD likes this.
  6. thiggins

The enable applies to both bands. I'll be interested in what you find.

L&LD likes this.
  7. mjc775

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I just looked at the Netgear website and the RAX80's bullet points include "Uplink and downlink OFDMA". It seems the Marketing Department is way ahead of the R&D Department. Hopefully that new firmware will also include WPA3 support - or something else useful other than OFDMA (which as you've shown is not very useful at this point).

I will transition my OFDMA support claims queries to the Netgear Community, but posted it here because of your testing and ongoing communications with Netgear.

Attached Files:

8. thiggins

@mjc775 I know what NETGEAR's promotional material says. I've said many times in my articles and on this forum that manufacturers are not being truthful about the state of OFDMA support in their products.

According to NETGEAR, there is a release coming in the next few weeks that will finally add OFDMA support to the RAX80.

Here's what the OFDMA enables look like:​

netgear_ofdma_enables.PNG

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    L&LD likes this.
  9. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

Few weeks ? This is Netgear were talking about. More like a few months or longer to be honest.

10. mjc775

Surprise: 1.0.3.88 was released today for the RAX80. "Supports OFDMA for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz separately". However with everything working for the most part with 1.0.1.70 I think I'll wait a few weeks for others to test it before I upgrade.

Enthusiast likes this.