What's new

Does Synology have the hardware equivalent of the TS-453 pro?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
So I am going to lay down some cash on a NAS and retire my WHS (rip.....). I get the impression that the QNAP TS-453 is a nice piece of hardware, but based on what I can ascertain in general, the QNAP is somewhat lacking when compared to Synology DS. The media and automation support Synology seems to offer is important to me.

Does Synology have a hardware box that competes with the TS-453 pro? I does not appear so - and the 415s+ is a bit long in the tooth for me at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Of course you can note the key specs that YOU want, from specs on-line from both vendors.
such as: supports 6TB disks, SATA 6Gb/s, eSATA vs USB3, CPU speed and RAM size, transcoding hardware if you need that and pay the big $ for it, dual LAN yes/no.

I'd assume that yes, both have equivalents.

Coming from WHS as you are, and with cost in mind, be sure you want a 4 bay due to RAID. I feel that fewer bigger disks is smarter - because data loss risks are greater for human error, theft, malware corruption of a file system, etc., than drive failure, IMO.

For my home NAS, used for consulting jobs and personal finances and family records, not much video archiving, I elected to go with a 2 bay, Lots less expensive than a 4 bay. With each drive as an independent volume and independent file system - which I feel is safer than RAID5. One is a Time Backup (versions of files) of the other. And no matter how many bays, RAID or not, you need that eSATA or USB3 external backup. "RAID is not a backup" we say. I chose Synology almost 3 years ago and have been very pleased. No data losses or glitches. But both companies seem to be great. I had and would never go with Netgear for NAS, nor the wannabe's like Buffalo, WD, Seagate, LG. When ASUS Stor ripens more, it could be a contender.

The above is opinion.

As Steve said it really depends on what you want to use it for. IF you want to use it as an HTPC (running XBMC & Plex and connecting it to your TV via HDMI) or VMs (not just docker containers) are important to you, then go QNAP. Synology doesn't support either option at this time.

You need to clarify what you mean by media and automation support. The other thing to remember is that for both vendors there are the "official" vendor apps, and then the large # of "community" apps.

Both models support similar functionality from an application standpoint, although each may have a couple here/there the other doesn't. For the HW dollar you get more with QNAP. From a SW standpoint, each has their pro's and con's.

Synology just released their recent major upgrade (5.2), and QNAP is getting ready in Q3 to release their next upgrade (4.2).

I have used both and there are things like on both, and things I would improve on each. In the end, I went with QNAP on my last upgrade earlier this year as SW can be fixed, but HW you are stuck with until you replace the unit.

Thanks very much for the replies - I will not use it for HTPC duty, but some VM was on the horizon. I am/have purchased the HDHomeRun DVR, want to use the Roku integration as well.

I know if I go Synology a new model will ship in a month.... I get the "you can wait forever" part. I am leaning toward the Qnap.

Thanks for the advice.

Then I would get base config QNAP (2GB version) and do your own memory upgrade. Much cheaper than price tag QNAP charges, and it takes all of 5 minutes. I have upgraded mine to 16GB of memory, which is officially "unsupported" but has been working fine. The official supported max memory for the TS-453Pro is 8GB.

One other thing to keep in mind is that while you can expand some QNAP's model capacities with an expansion chassis (via USB3), my understanding is that you can't stripe data volumes across internal & external drives.

Synology RackStation RS815 is a good alternative to TS-453 pro. 4 bay(s), 0 GB, 2.5 and/or 3.5 inch, Intel Atom C2538, 1000 Mbit/s. I like the shape of RS815:)

A little bit of apples/oranges there Lexi. The RS815 is Marvell ARM based not Intel based. You might be thinking of the older RS815+ model which are Intel based.

Also the RS815 only has 2 GbE ports vs. 4GbE ports on the QNAP. QNAP also offers rack based versions of many of their NAS's too for people needing that form factor.

A little bit of apples/oranges there Lexi. The RS815 is Marvell ARM based not Intel based. You might be thinking of the older RS815+ model which are Intel based.

Also the RS815 only has 2 GbE ports vs. 4GbE ports on the QNAP. QNAP also offers rack based versions of many of their NAS's too for people needing that form factor.

Great additional info.

To directly answer the OP's question; Does Synology have an equivalent to the QNAP TS-453 Pro?

In their dreams. ;)