What's new

Does the Asus XD4 Mini have ethernet backhaul?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil Smith

Occasional Visitor
Hi - so am reading major consumer reviews that this product does NOT have ethernet backhaul yet people on forums say it does! So either it does or it doesnt right? Or is there a type of halfway house ethernet backhaul with limitations? Thanks :)

From Techradar. "The biggest one is that there's no wireless backhaul, so both your network traffic and the node traffic are on the same band. Even if you choose to use wired backhaul, you'll have to also invest in a switch, as there's only one LAN port on the nodes" - is that right? there seems to be 2 LAN ports at the back!

The product does support Wi-Fi backhaul. It just doesn't have a dedicated backhaul radio.

It also supports Ethernet backhaul. So, yes, you'd have to invest $15 or so for a 5 port gigabit switch if you chose that method. AFAIK, the two ports can't be used as a switch. One is for WAN, the other for LAN for the root mesh node. For leaf nodes, you use only one port.

Sorry a bit slow. Maybe easier to explain set up. Currently I have a ac asus node. The node is connected wired to the router and therefore shows a solid green light which means ethernet backhaul. The PS4 has a LAN cable connected to the nodes other LAN port therefore it's a wired connection through to the router. That's all I need it to do. Don't want or need a switch.

Sorry, I don't understand your network configuration and what the problem is.

Not sure how else to explain. Anyway, it appears that the only one of them has 2 LAN ports and the others are satellites and only have 1 LAN port so they want do what I need anyway.

Right, the main unit has 2 ports and the other 2 have 1 port so if you need a satellite with one lan port for more than one Ethernet connection then you have to use a switch along with the satellite if using the Ethernet backhaul.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!