What's new

Does the client renew its assigned by once being manual assigned an IP not within the IP pool?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
Does the client renew its assigned by once being manual assigned an IP not within the IP pool?

I asked because I've seen AiMesh Node times to times would renew its IP thus briefly dropping mobile devices WiFi connections during that DHCP renewal process. Thus I configured the MAC->IP in manual assignment. (this ip is not in DHCP pool IP)

Does anyone know if by assigning the IP not within DHCP pool might allow the client (AiMesh Node) stays with that IP as long as being assigned by manual assignment? or the client (AiMesh node) will continue processing its DHCP renewal process once due?

Thank you!

I asked because I've seen AiMesh Node times to times would renew its IP thus briefly dropping mobile devices WiFi connections during that DHCP renewal process. Thus I configured the MAC->IP in manual assignment. (this ip is not in DHCP pool IP)

Does anyone know if by assigning the IP not within DHCP pool might allow the client (AiMesh Node) stays with that IP as long as being assigned by manual assignment? or the client (AiMesh node) will continue processing its DHCP renewal process once due?

Thank you!

This is not to answer your question since I have trouble understanding it.

However, it has been said here that the router DHCP server IP Pool should include router manually-assigned IPs. It should only exclude static IPs assigned by the user at each client.

OE

This is not to answer your question since I have trouble understanding it.

However, it has been said here that the router DHCP server IP Pool should include router manually-assigned IPs. It should only exclude static IPs assigned by the user at each client.

OE
Asking that if assigning an IP not within DHCP IP Pool, will the client (AiMesh Node) be renewed that IP? AiMesh node has tendency to renew its DHCP IP even manually assigned (within DHCP IP pool) , thus I used the manual assignment and assigned an IP (not within DHCP IP Pool) to AiMesh Node in hope that Aimesh node will not refresh its connections (refreshing IP lease).

Asking that if assigning an IP not within DHCP IP Pool, will the client (AiMesh Node) be renewed that IP? AiMesh node has tendency to renew its DHCP IP even manually assigned (within DHCP IP pool) , thus I used the manual assignment and assigned an IP (not within DHCP IP Pool) to AiMesh Node in hope that Aimesh node will not refresh its connections (refreshing IP lease).

You'll have to try and prove it since anything is possible. I would make sure you are using the correct MAC address since these routers have many.

OE

You'll have to try and prove it since anything is possible. I would make sure you are using the correct MAC address since these routers have many.

OE
Yep,,,I gave it a try and see after 86400+ seconds to see if it happens again...

In theory, the manual assigned IP is not in DHCP IP pool so I hope AiMesh doesn't send the DHCP release/renew to the router!

It's best if Asus AiMesh has static IP control option on the node after the AiMesh node joined the network!

Let's hope!

I have my DHCP assigned pool fairly small - the first 50 addresses.
I use assigned addresses above 50 for manually assigned. It's been this way for a number of years on my Asus routers running Asuswrt-merlin. Always works fine.

If by manually assignment, you mean the IP is assigned *statically*, on the device itself, and NOT using DHCP, then it will remain the same. It has to be. It's NOT using DHCP.

I have my DHCP assigned pool fairly small - the first 50 addresses.
I use assigned addresses above 50 for manually assigned. It's been this way for a number of years on my Asus routers running Asuswrt-merlin. Always works fine.
for those you used Router's manual assignment with IPs not in DHCP IP Pool, do
If by manually assignment, you mean the IP is assigned *statically*, on the device itself, and NOT using DHCP, then it will remain the same. It has to be. It's NOT using DHCP.
That's what I hope too! It's been more than 86400s and I haven't seen the AiMesh node has had any network connection drops (usually it does that whenever renew its DHCP IP). I used Asus Manual Assignment IP to give it an IP not from DHCP IP pool...seems to work!

Dnsmasq is a very well written, intelligent, solid piece of software.
I had no doubts! ;-)
Hats off to Simon Kelley.

After 4 days since I configured manual assignment an IP for AiMesh node (which is not within DHCP IP Pool), I never see the AiMesh node drop-connection issue nor request DHCP IP at all.

So the manual assignment works perfectly to give a device an IP address even not in the DHCP IP pool and will not renew given not an IP in DHCP IP pool!!

Working great....thank you for everyone time, appreciated it!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!