What's new

Does the NetGear FVS318G router plan nice with Windows 7 Native VPN client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miner

Regular Contributor
I’ve read the reviews and searched, but still no clear answer.

All the NetGear references point to the ProSafe VPN Client, which costs ~ $60 in addition to the router cost. Why would one want to use this over the Windows 7 native VPN client?

I’m asking a few questions here, in addition to the question in the title, (does it play nice?), how easy it is to figure out the Win 7 VPN client setup/configuration?

The Windows "native" client does not support pure IPsec. It supports PPTP and L2TP. The FVS318G does not support L2TP.

As a rule of thumb, is that how you determine if any VPN Router will work with the Windows 7 VPN client?

All I ever read on the FVS318 was use the NetGear client, no clear explanation why.

L2TP support doesn't guarantee that the Windows client will work with a router. But the native Windows VPN client won't work without it...for anything stronger than PPTP.